Join now - be part of our community!

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

nick_pan
Visitor

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

I hope users can read this post prior to posting laptop temperature problems cause they keep appearing, though its noones fault..as theres no search facility.

Many users are having problems with their sony vaio's and their inability to cool themselves efficiently..

Laptops should run under intense use at no higher that 70 degrees. The common symptoms of an overheated laptop are

a)the laptop runs slowly
b) the base of the laptop feels extremely hot
c) the laptop may restart of just switch off (An automated function of the motherboard to prevent damage to the laptop)
This program should display your laptops CPU temp and HD temp
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

If you think you have a temperature problem,

a) clean the laptops vents to make sure they'res no dust obstructing them
b) Go to control pannel --> power options, and u should be able to alter your thermal control settings to performance rather than quiet.
c) a common option is to buy a laptop cooler which reportedly has dropped laptop temps by up to 11 degrees. A huge improvement. Antec makes a good model as seen here..
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_cooling.php?ProdID=75004

If your experiencing extreme temperatures (>85), you should get your laptop checked, though there are reports of users sending their laptops to Sony with responses that nothing is wrong with it. The bottom line is that you may have to accept that your laptop has a temperature problem.

A cooler laptop increases performance as well as the longitivity of your components and therefore is a neccesity.

Please post here for more questions in relation to any Vaio model..

I hope this post is useful as a start to your temperature problems :slight_smile:

Shame it cant be made sticky

62 REPLIES 62
DaveTheRave
Visitor

Hi

My Laptop has been stolen and I don't want the f**kers to be able to get any sort of support on it. I also want to publish the serial no in my local paper. Can you retrieve the serial number from club vaio and email me at my registered email address plaese.

I tried a number of forums before settling on this one, hope it is correct.

Thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hey DTR

Sorry to hear that man, what a f**king shame.....
I *think* sony have a record of your serial.... don't quote me on that though.
Check eBay, a lot of crooks try sellling off stolen goods (not not everyone on eBay is a crook!)
Also give the serial to the police, hopefully they'll do a nationwide search before it leaves the UK.

ludwigbr
Visitor

Really a great advice. I have this big problem, too.

Why does my my Vaio PCG-GRZ pentium IV 2.4 suddenly shuts down?
I work for about 10 minutes and the machine shuts down, not hibernating. Does it goes too hot?
I retrieve the batteries and use direct power outlet. The machine is new and I canot understand this. I shut off all power controls.
I have to wait about 30 minutes - than I can work another 10. If I switch the Vaio on shortly after a shutdown, the machine stays on just a1 minute or so.
Somebody experienced the same problem?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Sounds like your VAIO has the dreaded cooling problem. Try cleaning the fans, then get a copy of MobileMeter and check the temperature, if the processor and/or hard disk hit ~85 deg C or over then you have a serious overheating problem.

Since its under warranty, contact Sony directly wither by phone or by eSupport email. You will find the details HERE

nick_pan
Visitor

or likewise read this thread..

cheers for the summary James :tongue:

kee-lo_

James : over 75 can cause long term damage to other periferals.

Nick: good to see you back :slight_smile:

mog123
Visitor

My K315Z is constantly at 68 degress when running nothing but outlook and writing this post. The laptop is only a month old and so slow its stupid.

I have tried the tips in this thread, and there was no quiet power option in control panel and was already set on performance. The laptop makes so much noise.

Anything I can do?

Ian

kee-lo_

Clean out the fans.
If this doesn't work call Sony

Pjay
Visitor

Im stuck on base 1 at the moment I looked for the screws that remove the keyboard n top pannels so I could give the fan a good cleanout. I have removed every screw I can find but the thing still wont come apart I just cant figure it out :cry:
My Machine is a PCG-GRT795MP ...Help me out guys before it melts all over the kitchen table.

No chance of finding info on this site as we still dont have a SEARCH FACILITY HERE. :angry:
Pjay

Pjay
Visitor

Sorted it ............now its clean I got a right lump of fluff from the back of the vents it actually looked like a filter screen and was about 5mm thick , the wife said "isnt that supposed to be there it looks like it should". my temps down to 55 instead of 79 with loads off apps running. oh yeah and its as quiet as a mouse. Im really chuffed. thanks guys

wanna have a look at me fluff :smirk:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michelle.coffey5/PCG-GRT795MP.html

Pjay