Join now - be part of our community!

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

nick_pan
Visitor

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

I hope users can read this post prior to posting laptop temperature problems cause they keep appearing, though its noones fault..as theres no search facility.

Many users are having problems with their sony vaio's and their inability to cool themselves efficiently..

Laptops should run under intense use at no higher that 70 degrees. The common symptoms of an overheated laptop are

a)the laptop runs slowly
b) the base of the laptop feels extremely hot
c) the laptop may restart of just switch off (An automated function of the motherboard to prevent damage to the laptop)
This program should display your laptops CPU temp and HD temp
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

If you think you have a temperature problem,

a) clean the laptops vents to make sure they'res no dust obstructing them
b) Go to control pannel --> power options, and u should be able to alter your thermal control settings to performance rather than quiet.
c) a common option is to buy a laptop cooler which reportedly has dropped laptop temps by up to 11 degrees. A huge improvement. Antec makes a good model as seen here..
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_cooling.php?ProdID=75004

If your experiencing extreme temperatures (>85), you should get your laptop checked, though there are reports of users sending their laptops to Sony with responses that nothing is wrong with it. The bottom line is that you may have to accept that your laptop has a temperature problem.

A cooler laptop increases performance as well as the longitivity of your components and therefore is a neccesity.

Please post here for more questions in relation to any Vaio model..

I hope this post is useful as a start to your temperature problems :slight_smile:

Shame it cant be made sticky

62 REPLIES 62
PainKiller
Visitor

Does anybody know what maximum temperature that the laptop can reach? Does it depend on the speed of the processor? I had download the MobileMeter, and I saw that the temperature of my processor is 60' C in normal, and 40' C for the HDD. Is it a nomal mode of the laptop? Thx:smileywink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I wouldn't go above 70 degrees on the CPU

Nifty
Visitor

*BUMP* - Just keeping this useful thread on the first page!

kee-lo_

*BUMP* *BUMP*

nick_pan
Visitor

Does anybody know what maximum temperature that the laptop can reach? Does it depend on the speed of the processor? I had download the MobileMeter, and I saw that the temperature of my processor is 60' C in normal, and 40' C for the HDD. Is it a nomal mode of the laptop? Thx:smileywink:

85 degs is vaio's mobos shutdown point apparently although thats extremely hot

kee-lo_

Yes I agree with Nick, make sure you turn off once it gets > 75

Siddeh
Visitor

what should it be when ya system is idel or just browsing web ? mine sits between 55 and 60 when doin this.. reached a max of 66 when runnin cpu/gfx benchmarks...

ta

Ben

nick_pan
Visitor

what should it be when ya system is idel or just browsing web ? mine sits between 55 and 60 when doin this.. reached a max of 66 when runnin cpu/gfx benchmarks...

ta

Ben

thats slighty above average but if its not going above 66 degrees, you've got nothing to worry about..

be grateful u haven't got the dreaded cooling problem some vaios have :slight_smile:

Siddeh
Visitor

be grateful u haven't got the dreaded cooling problem some vaios have :slight_smile:

o i am :smileygrin: dont u worry... tho my room is exceptionally hot when i did that.. sitty around 54 this morning... :slight_smile:

thanks mate..

Ben

K-tch
Visitor

I've got a fr415m for half a year now, and I've never seen my CPU temp go above 45 degrees Celcius. My HD never above 35.

Do I have to praise myself lucky? Compared to the temps I read here in this forum, this seems rather low.