Join now - be part of our community!

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

nick_pan
Visitor

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

I hope users can read this post prior to posting laptop temperature problems cause they keep appearing, though its noones fault..as theres no search facility.

Many users are having problems with their sony vaio's and their inability to cool themselves efficiently..

Laptops should run under intense use at no higher that 70 degrees. The common symptoms of an overheated laptop are

a)the laptop runs slowly
b) the base of the laptop feels extremely hot
c) the laptop may restart of just switch off (An automated function of the motherboard to prevent damage to the laptop)
This program should display your laptops CPU temp and HD temp
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

If you think you have a temperature problem,

a) clean the laptops vents to make sure they'res no dust obstructing them
b) Go to control pannel --> power options, and u should be able to alter your thermal control settings to performance rather than quiet.
c) a common option is to buy a laptop cooler which reportedly has dropped laptop temps by up to 11 degrees. A huge improvement. Antec makes a good model as seen here..
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_cooling.php?ProdID=75004

If your experiencing extreme temperatures (>85), you should get your laptop checked, though there are reports of users sending their laptops to Sony with responses that nothing is wrong with it. The bottom line is that you may have to accept that your laptop has a temperature problem.

A cooler laptop increases performance as well as the longitivity of your components and therefore is a neccesity.

Please post here for more questions in relation to any Vaio model..

I hope this post is useful as a start to your temperature problems :slight_smile:

Shame it cant be made sticky

62 REPLIES 62
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

:smileygrin:

chanuk
Visitor

Sorted it ............now its clean I got a right lump of fluff from the back of the vents it actually looked like a filter screen and was about 5mm thick , the wife said "isnt that supposed to be there it looks like it should". my temps down to 55 instead of 79 with loads off apps running. oh yeah and its as quiet as a mouse. Im really chuffed. thanks guys

wanna have a look at me fluff :smirk:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michelle.coffey5/PCG-GRT795MP.html

Pjay

Looks like a piece of carpet to me! 😛

Jay1
Visitor

Good thread. If i had designed this laptop i would have but a fan which is less noseier. I think they wented to be a bit cheap on there thermal design.

kee-lo_

Sometimes I feel Sony don't consider every angle with their interal designs.

Jay1
Visitor

well i hav a k315s

I always run it as battery mode not performace if i just doing basic stuff with the laptop so it runs at 1.83Ghz instead of 3.06Ghz

why is do this is because

the wattage or power it needs to consume is much less then it running at 3.06Ghz which means the fan is less nosier and also less heat from components

as i do not need that speed what is the point of running it at 3.06 becase ths means there is more heat and thats why the fan runs faster.

so if u do not need all that power why run it at that speed

let me know if any one disagrees with this.

I use to work on testing motherboards at differnet temp at work using freezer spray and blow tourch

kee-lo_

Sounds a good thing to me, and a lower electricity bill too I bet.

BurastA
Visitor

have two questions

1-) Everybody say clean the fans but what is the best way to do that?

2-)People say coolers are cumbersome but arent they easily plugged in and out? I mean cant I leave it on my desk at home which I mostly heat my computer at and use my comp on other locations(which i do not use it intensely) without the cooler

Jay1
Visitor

I had a Toshiba which had a feature that lets you change the Fan speed and this was a program they give. But the bottom line it that the fan would come on when needed and not on all the time like sony laptop when chaged to low cooling. I have also noticed that Toshiba fan was a bit larger then Sonys laptop. Not only that i think it had two fans in the laptop. As i could hear the other one kick in sometimes.

:thinking: but does sonys laptop have two fans or one ?? I could find out but someone must know

Sounds a good thing to me, and a lower electricity bill too I bet.

kee-lo_

1-) Everybody say clean the fans but what is the best way to do that?

With compressed air and opening up the laptop.

mattbees
Visitor

My K215Z keeps freezing, do you think this could be to do with cooling? The thing is though, it does it if I just leave it on a flat surface with no programs running. Any ideas how I can work out whats making it freeze? Sony want me to reset everything and then see if it still happens before they are willing to help any further, which I really dont want to do, not untill Ive tried everything else anyway.

Cheers