Join now - be part of our community!

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

nick_pan
Visitor

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

I hope users can read this post prior to posting laptop temperature problems cause they keep appearing, though its noones fault..as theres no search facility.

Many users are having problems with their sony vaio's and their inability to cool themselves efficiently..

Laptops should run under intense use at no higher that 70 degrees. The common symptoms of an overheated laptop are

a)the laptop runs slowly
b) the base of the laptop feels extremely hot
c) the laptop may restart of just switch off (An automated function of the motherboard to prevent damage to the laptop)
This program should display your laptops CPU temp and HD temp
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

If you think you have a temperature problem,

a) clean the laptops vents to make sure they'res no dust obstructing them
b) Go to control pannel --> power options, and u should be able to alter your thermal control settings to performance rather than quiet.
c) a common option is to buy a laptop cooler which reportedly has dropped laptop temps by up to 11 degrees. A huge improvement. Antec makes a good model as seen here..
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_cooling.php?ProdID=75004

If your experiencing extreme temperatures (>85), you should get your laptop checked, though there are reports of users sending their laptops to Sony with responses that nothing is wrong with it. The bottom line is that you may have to accept that your laptop has a temperature problem.

A cooler laptop increases performance as well as the longitivity of your components and therefore is a neccesity.

Please post here for more questions in relation to any Vaio model..

I hope this post is useful as a start to your temperature problems :slight_smile:

Shame it cant be made sticky

62 REPLIES 62
camilo
Visitor

Isn't there anything we can do about this?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Nothing much except explain the issue to Sony.
Maybe they can improve the software if enough people say something.

Pjay
Visitor

Well its been 3 months since I cleaned the fans & vents in my lappy and Iv'e just had to do it again. The temp crept up from a nice cool 55 to 65 over the space of 3 months and was starting to get noisey again. I got half the amount of crap out this time round, just goes to show how quick it builds up. there is only 1 proper way to clean em and thats to remove the ducting chamber and the fans intact, blow and ligtly brush the fans and ducting out (i removed both of the fans to do a thourough job)also blow the area out where the vents are on the back of the lappy from both sides. if anyone wants to have a go at this then do yourself a big favor and note where all the screws came from.... if you wrongly fit a long screw where a short screw is supposed to be you might be in for big trouble....

Pjay