Join now - be part of our community!

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

nick_pan
Visitor

General Advice on Laptop Cooling

I hope users can read this post prior to posting laptop temperature problems cause they keep appearing, though its noones fault..as theres no search facility.

Many users are having problems with their sony vaio's and their inability to cool themselves efficiently..

Laptops should run under intense use at no higher that 70 degrees. The common symptoms of an overheated laptop are

a)the laptop runs slowly
b) the base of the laptop feels extremely hot
c) the laptop may restart of just switch off (An automated function of the motherboard to prevent damage to the laptop)
This program should display your laptops CPU temp and HD temp
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

If you think you have a temperature problem,

a) clean the laptops vents to make sure they'res no dust obstructing them
b) Go to control pannel --> power options, and u should be able to alter your thermal control settings to performance rather than quiet.
c) a common option is to buy a laptop cooler which reportedly has dropped laptop temps by up to 11 degrees. A huge improvement. Antec makes a good model as seen here..
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_cooling.php?ProdID=75004

If your experiencing extreme temperatures (>85), you should get your laptop checked, though there are reports of users sending their laptops to Sony with responses that nothing is wrong with it. The bottom line is that you may have to accept that your laptop has a temperature problem.

A cooler laptop increases performance as well as the longitivity of your components and therefore is a neccesity.

Please post here for more questions in relation to any Vaio model..

I hope this post is useful as a start to your temperature problems :slight_smile:

Shame it cant be made sticky

62 REPLIES 62
nick_pan
Visitor

I've got a fr415m for half a year now, and I've never seen my CPU temp go above 45 degrees Celcius. My HD never above 35.

Do I have to praise myself lucky? Compared to the temps I read here in this forum, this seems rather low.

yeh the excellent temps. do u live in a very cool climate?
:smileygrin:

praise yourself lucky..as u say

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

This topic seems to be doing well Nick, 20 replies and nearly 300 views :smileygrin:

K-tch
Visitor

yeh the excellent temps. do u live in a very cool climate? 
:smileygrin:

I live in Belgium, not exactly the warmest country around. 😛

kee-lo_

Not colder than the UK LOL

BadForGood
Visitor

Hi there and thanks for the info!

We have two GRT-716S notebooks, and they both have idle temperatures of ~59°C CPU and ~57°C HDD.

Of course, with the power-consuming desktop processors, we did not expect a quiet and cool system.
But one of the notebooks gets louder than the other. Both are cleaned.

Can it just be the fan? Has anybody every exchanged the fan?

Bye
Alexander

nick_pan
Visitor

Alex they're quite warm idle tempeartures...

With my K series, the HD temp rarely goes above 40 degrees under intense use...

At the CPU hits about 60 degrees during gaming etc

And this model has a desktop processor too..

I haven't heard of anyone change the fan..when you're using the laptop, especially intensively, take note of its temps and if they're in the 70s (quite seems quite possible with late 50s idle temps) think about trying some of the cooling solutions mentioned in this thread

kee-lo_

To be honest with you if I was sony I'd stop making these desktop CPU laptops, they're more hassle than Centrino.

pixeldude
Visitor

Hi,

I have a Vaio PCG-K215Z and the average temp of cpu when surfing the net and working with files is 56c and the hdd is 51c do you think is normal? (3.06Ghz processor)

Thank you:smileycool:

kee-lo_

Thats OK, but I would keep an eye on it, as if it goes higher then it's not good.

pixeldude
Visitor

Thats OK, but I would keep an eye on it, as if it goes higher then it's not good.

I changed the frequency to 1.6Ghz and the cpu is at 48c and hdd at 51c... is it good for that frequency?

I changed back to 3.06Ghz and then did a burn in test with sisoft sandra and the temp got to 66c ... my notebook is new now.. but with time i guess this temp will get higher as alot of dust will get into the coolers...

PS:VAIO notebooks are the best...Hope the forum will have soon a search button.