Join now - be part of our community!

Exploring Xperia X10i

SOLVED
Not applicable

Exploring Xperia X10i

Hi, I am been using Xperia X10i from its launch. It was amazing when it was 1.6. Today it is 2.1 and the access is more to its core.

Recently I have installed Z4 Root and ROM Manager. Any idea what does it do? When I click on ROM Manager, it asks to select Phone Model. And in the list I do not find Xperia X10. Can I select any phone model and run the process. Got little scared, as phone might brick.

Besides, I noticed of custom ROM for Xperia X10i (FROYO 2.2)

http://getandroidstuff.com/xperia-x10-froyo-rom-download-android-x10/

Any idea on this? Can we download and get it rooted as shown in the above link? Anybody tried and experiencing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
suze
Leader

I don't think this forum is the best place for you to get the answers you want.  I would suggest you have a look over on Android Forums on the All Things Root section or over at XDA developers.

I would steer clear of downloading any ROMs for the phones, they have not been sorted out properly yet and yes you are likely to brick your phone or only have half the functionality you want.  Your warranty will be voided too.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
suze
Leader

I don't think this forum is the best place for you to get the answers you want.  I would suggest you have a look over on Android Forums on the All Things Root section or over at XDA developers.

I would steer clear of downloading any ROMs for the phones, they have not been sorted out properly yet and yes you are likely to brick your phone or only have half the functionality you want.  Your warranty will be voided too.

Not applicable

Thanks Suze.

I didn't know rooting will void warranty. Better I steer away from ROM changing.

By the way, is there any apps which willl move all my apps to SD card? I have purchased talking Tom, Larry, Robey, and all these are above 12 MB. I want to move these apps to SD. Any idea?

Not applicable

ROM mangers won't work for the X10 because the bootloader (what ROM managers need access to) hasn't been cracked. The custom ROMs you found on that website (really from XDA) are more like workarounds to the bootloader problem and not 'true' custom ROMs as you still haven't change the kernel or anything like that. Plus those ROMs are in a pre-alpha stage of their development so I would stay clear of them for now.To answer you question though, a ROM manager basically allows you to have several ROMs loaded on your phone and then you can select which one you want to use. This is useless for the X10 though as the bootloader must be accessible in order to load other ROMs on your phone.

As Suze said, rooting, while very easy to do now, voids your warranty and loading any non-SE ROMs would DEFINITELY void your warranty, so it's probably best just to steer clear of these things for now. Hope this helps!

Not applicable

You can look into Apps2SD. I think I remember seeing somewhere on the XDA forum that there was a way to get it working on the X10. If I find the link, I'll post it but you should be able to find it easily enough on your own. Hope this helps!

Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions on ROM. Let me stay away from ROM Manager. Slightly_smiling_Face

I am using my GMAIL account and another official POP email account using Xperia's defaul email applications (though K9 Mail is more customizable).

I would like to set signature for my GMAIL app and EMAIL app.

The signature supports only text format. Is there any app that can support HTML format, wherein I can put my signature in all colors.

Not applicable

Have anyone tried My Phone Explorer application that needs to be installed in your PC and also a apk file in your mobile.

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php

It's great. It works like Nokia PC Suite, wherein you can view all your contacts and SMS and Calls in your PC and backup or store in PC too Slightly_smiling_Face

Not applicable

Facebook & Contacts.

When I long press a contact, and tap on Join Contacts, it gives me the list of social network (facebook/ twitter), and when I select Facebook and save it, the picture in my contact for that person gets changed, and the name too gets displayed as it is there in facebook. I am not able to get it changed to my customized name that I give. Can this be sorted? Or correct me if I am doing it incorrectly.

I want just the facebook or twitter icon when I hit the photo in the contacts, it should give me phone, sms, email, facebook, etc. I do not want to see their name and photo getting changed. How to do it?

Not applicable

Hey, ever noticed from 1.6 to 2.1, the email apps (Gmail & Email) remains teh same to some extent.

I require Signature as the option is available in Gmail. I want to configure an Signature for my Email app. Does it have the function? Can we do that?

I don't want to use K9 Mail too.

sushidushi
Contributor

I don't think that is possible, though I'd love to be proved wrong.  I find it frustrating, albeit only a minor inconvenience for me personally, as I don't know many people!