Join now - be part of our community!

too much illuminated LCD screen

enzo95
Visitor

too much illuminated LCD screen

Dear Vaio friends,

Maybe some of you would remember me from my posting on not being able to decide on buying S3 or B1 series. FInally I ordered a B1XP and yesterday I got it delivered to my office (hurray). It's a very cute thing and at this very moment I am writing this post using my new B1.

So far so good, however I need your valuable comments again for another issue. At the very bottom of the LCD screen frame there is too much illumination which makes the rest of the screen a bit hazy (not as crystal clear as my GRX315MP) and I need to fold the screen a bit more to a backwards in order find a good working position. It's all about a couple of centimeters high, strongly light emitting section at the botton of the screen where normally the task bar is located.

After calling Sony about it and not getting an clear answer whether this is because of a defect LCD or a characteristic of B1 series screen, I decided to go for club opinion on this issue. The best Sony can offer is to get my notebook picked up, examined and in case it's defect, get it replaced.

Has anyone experienced such a situation or have some idea on what to do about it? Please try to let me know before Monday, before Sony comes to pick it up. In case it's all normal, I do not want to miss my notebook for couple of weeks.

Waiting to hear from you all,

Enzo

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There is a very similar thread to this, dating back a couple of weeks or so. I will see whether I can find it.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
TygerTyger
Visitor

I'd get it sent off to be repaired, no LCD is supposed to be bright at the bottom and fuzzy at the top. Quite why they couldn't tell you that over the phone I can't imagine.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Found it. Have a look at this Enzo.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
enzo95
Visitor

Richard,

Indeed I too remember coming across something resembling my problem and I did do a search on various words but could not pinpoint any post.

Maybe you can succeed on finding something, thanks!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree with TT, have it fixed before installing anything.
Then you have nothing to loose.

enzo95
Visitor

I found this in Vaio-link knowledge database:

Description:

I have a PCG-Z1 series VAIO - The bottom part of my LCD is brighter than the upper part, is this normal?

Solution:

This is normal, the LCD of your VAIO uses a single backlight, and this backlight is on the bottom side of the LCD, this is why, the bottom side of the LCD is brighter.

Well, according to Sony there is no malfunctioning at all then, shall I still think about sending my notebook back, Kee-Lo/TT ?

Enzo

TygerTyger
Visitor

But yours is fuzzy at the top yes? That shouldn't be. My LCD is brighter at the bottom as well when it's on standby for instance, but on full brightness and everyday use it should not be as noticeable as yours sounds.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Enzo,

Only if the symptoms make using the laptop difficult, eg fuzziness and pixalisation.

EurosportRU
Visitor

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, though owned R505 for quite a while; but having bought an S2HRP I've made up my mind to turn over a new page and live a more community-oriented life ,-)) I bought an S-series just 2 days ago,and the problem looks pretty similar, that shiny LCD bottom; but the core of the trouble is that in my case it has a very pronounced violet tint to it! It cought my eye for the first time as I opened a night photo shot in a viewer, full-screen mode. It passed unnoticed in the process of pre-purchase check--small wonder as the effect is hardly visible against desktop background. I believe, there's something out of order down there. What an expert's opinion will sound like? ThanX in advance
P.C. In all other respects, a dream machine.