Join now - be part of our community!

Replace and Upgrade HDD on a VGN-CR21S

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Dolph58
Visitor

Replace and Upgrade HDD on a VGN-CR21S

Unfortunately the HDD on my daughters VGN-CR21S has given up. The HDD is a Seagate Momentus ST9160821AS 160Gb 5400.3. I though as I need to replace the HDD I would take advantage of upgrading it to 500GB.

I have found for sale a Seagate Momentus ST9500325AS 500Mb 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ interface 8Mb Cache 5400rpm. The only difference that I can see apart from the extra space is the the original drive works at 1.5Gb/s NCQ and the proposed new one works at 3Gb/s NCQ.

Can anyone advise me if the ST9500325AS will work OK? or can you please advise an alternative solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes the ST9500325AS should work fine as it is the correct form factor - 9.5mm thick.

The great thing about SATA is that it is 100% backward compatible which means any new device can be fitted in older SATA models. It will most likely only work at the speed of your Vaio's interface which is probably 1.5Gb/s.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes the ST9500325AS should work fine as it is the correct form factor - 9.5mm thick.

The great thing about SATA is that it is 100% backward compatible which means any new device can be fitted in older SATA models. It will most likely only work at the speed of your Vaio's interface which is probably 1.5Gb/s.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Dolph58
Visitor

Many thanks for your help I'll give it a go!!