Join now - be part of our community!

Pioneer DVR-K12D defective? I can't write DVDs anymore.

Kei
Visitor

Pioneer DVR-K12D defective? I can't write DVDs anymore.

I'm very concerned about my DVD drive.

It's going haywire. It can't write DVDs properly. When you insert a DVD in Nero, it goes through the writing procedure like normal. No errors, no prompts etc.
It writes the DVD as though it had done so successfully. But when you refresh, i.e. eject and reinsert the "written" DVD back inside, the display icon for the DVD drive simply changes to "CD drive", and it just doesn't detect a disc in there at all.

I've checked everything, including the following, all of which did not help at all: (NONE OF THE FOLLOWING HELPED) --
- Update firmware to latest

- Checked IDE/APATI devices status at DMA available.

- Fixed or changed ASPI layer (to ForceASPI 1.7)

- Used several versions of Nero (6 and 7)

- Scanned everything, spyware/adware, viruses etc.

- Reformatted entire system and reinstalled WinXP Pro

- Used two different DVDs; DVD+R and DVD+RW
The DVD+R is CopyMe, which was manufactured by Mitsubishi, and the DVD+RW is Packard Bell which was manufactured by Optodisc.

- Restarted the PC several times.

- Even tried cleaning the new blank DVDs

When it does work, it does so rarely! Even worse... when I insert a prewritten DVD that is fully functional, and then writing another session on it, after writing the disc, it renders it useless. Absolutely useless, as in the disc doesn't work anymore. I've already lost gigabytes of data due to this problem.

The thing is, it is really weird, because I have been using CopyMe DVDs for a long time. I bought two 25 pack spindles, and the first 25 pack I used were burned successfully, no errors.
But on the second pack, after a few DVDs or so, the drive just didn't write properly anymore.
So can it be the media's fault?

Also, I'm also getting "power calibration error" when I try to format a DVD+RW, the Packard Bell DVD+RWs. For those which I can write on (i.e. preformatted) it can write as though nothing is wrong, but when you eject and reinsert, the drive status changes to "CD drive" and nothing is detected.

I can't format DVD+/-RWs.

Everything else is fine though. I can read DVDs fine. Read blank DVDs fine, movie DVDs fine, prewritten DVDs fine (except for those which have been rendered useless by this problem).
I can write CDs fine too. I can erase CDs fine.

It's just the DVD writing is the problem.

Is this a drive failure? Is it dying?

My warranty had expired already. If this is a physical fault, how much would it cost to replace this DVD writer?

20 REPLIES 20
robholmes
Visitor

Hi Kei

I had identical problem with my drive, i couldn't be bothered messing about anymore and bought the NEC 6650 over xmas, works like a dream paid £50 for it which was very reasonable, good luck.:smileyhappy:

Kei
Visitor

Yes okay, I shall go for the NEC drives. (NEC ND-6650)

I'm in no position to send my VAIO back to those guys again, and not paying anything since my warranty has expired.

But does anyone know how to disassemble a K215B and replace the DVD drive? Or perhaps a K model at least?

I repeat.
Does anyone know how to disassemble a K215B and replace the DVD drive? Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide for this?

Thanks

robholmes
Visitor

what vaio do you have? all i did was pop out the complete unit by clicking button underneath and removed screws holding the drive in the dvd caddy, then after carefully throwing k12d drive into nearest bin ,placed new NEC into caddy and refitted screws. Then just slide back into place and away you go! The only downside with the new dvd drive is that the Sony cover for the eject part does not fit on the NEC drive but i can live with that. Hope this helps:smileyhappy:

Kei
Visitor

what vaio do you have? all i did was pop out the complete unit by clicking button underneath and removed screws holding the drive in the dvd caddy, then after carefully throwing k12d drive into nearest bin ,placed new NEC into caddy and refitted screws. Then just slide back into place and away you go! The only downside with the new dvd drive is that the Sony cover for the eject part does not fit on the NEC drive but i can live with that. Hope this helps:smileyhappy:

You didn't read what I posted earlier?:
I repeat.
Does anyone know how to disassemble a K215B and replace the DVD drive? Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide for this?

I have, as you can read above, a PCG-K215B.

The only downside with the new dvd drive is that the Sony cover for the eject part does not fit on the NEC drive but i can live with that.

What do you mean by the Sony cover?

robholmes
Visitor

Most laptops and desktops i think have their own dvd/cd tray covers that are fitted, when it comes to replacing the drive you take off the manufacturers tray cover and fit your computers one in its place. It just so happens that my Sony cover does not fit the NEC drive i have installed and my drive tray is more visible on the side.

Kei
Visitor

Most laptops and desktops i think have their own dvd/cd tray covers that are fitted, when it comes to replacing the drive you take off the manufacturers tray cover and fit your computers one in its place. It just so happens that my Sony cover does not fit the NEC drive i have installed and my drive tray is more visible on the side.

Can you take a photo of what this is like? Is it like your DVD drive is very opened and exposed with no cover?
Thanks

robholmes
Visitor

the drive is not open or exposed in anyway,it's just the NEC dvd tray is a different colour than my laptop,as my Sony tray cover does not fit i have left the NEC one on.Cannot take picture i'm afraid as i have left my camera at work.

Kei
Visitor

Okay thanks for the info.

I am still waiting for anyone who is able to acquire a guide or tutorial of some sort as to how to disassemble a Sony VAIO K series model.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have you tried at VAIO Village?

Kei
Visitor

Have you tried at VAIO Village?

Well, I just did, and using their search function isn't very friendly. Most of it gives "nothing found". And besides, browsing their forum, I mainly find troubleshooting queries about GRX and F series models.
Looks like the K series is much about the lowest/uncommon and inferior model you can get.