Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Drive Issues

Rolu
Visitor

Optical Drive Issues

Hi Everybody,

I have been browsing through this forum today for a while and realized that there are all kinds of issues with the optical drives Sony is delivering with their notebooks (but not limited to notebooks). Despite there may be some problems related to incorrect system setup I would regard a significant amount of them as hardware (?) related. I am having such a problem too.
I just wonder whether Sony is aware of this and whether they have identified the root causes of all these issues. Are there any driver related problems or is it a manufacturing problem? I would like Sony being more responsive and active on these quality issues. So far I am very disappointed with the way Sony is handling the problems.

By the way, I also do not appreciate the way Sony is bundling their notebooks with Sony SW packages that aren't really good in my opinion but intend to bind customers to their products. In terms of updates and bug fixing this part (have a look which SW has been updated recently) seems to be far better supported than the pure basics of the system.

Best Regards
Rolu :slight_frown:

73 REPLIES 73
yozestar
Visitor

Hi everybody,
I read all these posts and I am really disapointed.
I've recently bought a VAIO S2HP that costed me a lot like for all vaio users. I tried to burn a cd but I got a lot of problems. I have verbatim datalife which are usually very good cd's. I burned them well with an S1HP. But with the S2, if I burn more than 4x speed it fails. I phoned vaio link support and they told me that they use verbatim so they don't understand. I tried to burn with fuji cd's and it works normally.
The things is that I don't know which brand of cd's i can buy. Cd's are sold in spindle of 50 if you want to have a good price and I don't want to make a mistake and burn all cd's at 4x.
The dvd writer is a matshita UJ-822Da. There is no support, no new firmware and no information about it. I searched for a week!
I am lost now and i don't know what to do to be ensure to buy the right cd's or dvd's.
If someone has experienced this matshita UJ-822Da and didn't had problems, it would be very smart to tell me the brand of cd's and dvd he/she use or to give me a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Yozestar

PS: excuse me for my english ...

TygerTyger
Visitor

Get back on the phone to technical support and make them do something useful. They can't just say 'I don't understand' and then leave you to it. If they don't understand then they are dunces (goes without saying) and if they don't know how you can fix it then they should take it in for repair.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Tyger, if Tesco Mobile can I bet Sony can.
Drives me crazy :devil: :devil: :devil:

TygerTyger
Visitor

Stand up for yourself man :smileyhappy:. I mean you gotta be polite to support, but when they just go 'Duhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno'.........well there are limits to anyones patience.

Jay1
Visitor

Yeah but this isn't a forum for just anyone. It's a forum for people who have spent a small fortune on (a) Sony product(s) surely that reason alone means they should make an effort.

Dam right!! :angry: :angry: :smileyangry:. I hav not even tried my cd-rom since I got the laptop and tht is not the point. The point is tht sony better sort this mess out as this is some serious matter tht they cant waive away. I just read this tread as is it piling up and up. Full support in this matter as a cd drive is very important and wht happened to quality after sales service.

kee-lo_

Stand up for yourself man :smileyhappy:. I mean you gotta be polite to support, but when they just go 'Duhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno'.........well there are limits to anyones patience.

They hung up on me before, and I didn't swear or give abuse.
So I made a complaint.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

[They hung up on me before, and I didn't swear or give abuse.
So I made a complaint.

Did you receive any feedback from your complaint Kee-lo?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

No Rich, they gave me £1 credit, and hoped I'd leave it there, but they had to go one step further and not send me my top-up card.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I hope that you spent the £1 wisely kee-Lo:smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

:laughing: Put it this way it wasn't used to call Support!
I've been waiting 2 weeks to top up now..................................................