Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40WD653 BBC apps issue

toastpod

KDL-40WD653 BBC apps issue

I have a KDL-40WD653 (2016 model). It has an issue whereby after loading one of the BBC apps a few times (e.g. the iPlayer app), subsequent attempts to start the app results in a brief loading animation followed by a black screen, and then nothing else. I can exit out by pressing the HOME button, but I have to power off at the wall to get the BBC apps working again.

I have noticed a Sony issue announcement: https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/announcement-KDL-WD6/KDL-40WD653 - however it makes no mention of what issue the announcement relates to.

Does anyone know what specific issue the Sony announcement relates to, and is there an easier way to "reboot" the TV than powering off at the wall?

Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @georgiaolivia

Have you tried disabling 'Parental Controls' and 'BT Protect' in your BT account settings. 

In regards to changing the firmware on the HH, maybe @kellydown can shed some light on how this was done?  Or contact BT Support.

Edit: Just reading back what you wrote, if you can sometimes access the Netflix and iPlayer apps, but sometimes not, this suggests an issue with your internet connection.  BT Support/Forums might be able to assist more on this.

Cheers

kellydown
Explorer

Hi,

changing the firmware or whatever it was on my router was done remotely by my work IT consultant so I'm afraid I can't help.

My TV is still not picking up iPlayer etc directly, but gets it OK through the Amazon stick so that has kept the family pacified.

It's certainly not what the TV is supposed to deliver though.

Now I just have to figure out how to synchronise the audio. It's worse on some channels than others. Practically unwatchable on some streamed programs.

Would appreciate any links to appropriate threads or web links.

profile.country.GB.title
BrockChis
Explorer

So, having read this thread, over two years after it was posted, I,m having the same problem. Tv connects to WiFi. Amazon Tv and you tube work well but bbc iPlayer does not. Nor does the itv player. No great loss there, but can someone tell me how to fix it?

kellydown
Explorer

We gave up , bought an Amazon stick and just run iPlayer and ITV player
etc through the Amazon stick. --

Brendan O'Leary
[Removed personal details]

profile.country.GB.title
jabridg69
Explorer

I have a KDL42W705B, bought in 2014. Suddenly this last week I find that the BBC iPlayer App will not load. 
I have iPlayer on my phone and that works fine. But I have a 42in to watch tv. That is not an option on my iPhone!