Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40WD653 BBC apps issue

toastpod

KDL-40WD653 BBC apps issue

I have a KDL-40WD653 (2016 model). It has an issue whereby after loading one of the BBC apps a few times (e.g. the iPlayer app), subsequent attempts to start the app results in a brief loading animation followed by a black screen, and then nothing else. I can exit out by pressing the HOME button, but I have to power off at the wall to get the BBC apps working again.

I have noticed a Sony issue announcement: https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/announcement-KDL-WD6/KDL-40WD653 - however it makes no mention of what issue the announcement relates to.

Does anyone know what specific issue the Sony announcement relates to, and is there an easier way to "reboot" the TV than powering off at the wall?

Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
toastpod

@kellydown 

Sony have just released firmware v8.113 - you could give that a go.

kellydown
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus and toastpod.

I'm afraid things have gone from bad to worse. TV says it's connected OK, internet OK, etc but iPlayer not only doesn't play, but has disappeared from the app list which now only has YouTube and media sharing.

In desperation I bought an Amazon Firestick , which the TV recognises as being plugged into the HDMI port, but doesn't display any interface so can't be worked. (yes I've powered it)

I tried software update but only get error messages 2156 or 3128, same with internet refresh or anything else. 

The TV has been telling me there are no software updates (back in the days when it would connect) but its version is v8.110-1000-1.200-01 so I guess the next step is to manually load via USB. As that involves switching TV off and dire warnings about touching anything while process is on, it will have to wait until family have gobe to bed.

I'm absolutely astounded that a TV , bought for entertainment and relaxation, can be the cause of so much stress. I honestly wish I'd never bought it but am too stubborn to give up yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The disappearence of iPlayer and other apps is normally because the TV doesnt detect that you have a UK based IP Address.  Whilst the TV is off, reboot your router and then test again.

If it still fails, i would suggest a complete factory reset of the TV itself.  Once done, then try applying the update.

Cheers

kellydown
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus,

I've done all that, several times. My family has lost patience with me.
--

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kellydown

I dont suppose your ISP is virgin by any chance?

On the TV, can you try manually doing your network settings and use Googles DNS servers of:

And see if that works?

If you are using Wifi, can you test with an ethernet cable instead?

Cheers

kellydown
Explorer

HI Quinnicus, no my ISP is TalkTalk. Actually I have a fibre connection since I work from home and have a ethernet cable connecting from a TP-Link through power sockets. It was working fine before, when iPlayer worked.

Both that connection or WifI say they are connected and have internet etc.

As in this screen display:

Cable connection : OK

Local Access: OK

Internet Access: OK

But any attempt to connect to anything ends up with error 2156

My DNS is:

So now I'll try changing that last one to the tone you suggest.

update: Nope, didn't make any difference.

I'm also perplexed at the Amazon Firestick. It's supposed to just display a menu but nothing comes up. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

One last thing before i escalate this to Sony support:

• Can you confirm the model of your TV, is it KDL-40WD653. 
  • Can you update the TV using the USB method.  If your model is the same above, see these instructions HERE

Cheers

kellydown
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus , yes , it's KDL-48WD653, bought from Costco in Scotland.

The USB update went fine but nothing changed with my issues.

I got the amazon Firestick working and downloaded its BBC iPlayer app - but it still won't load and play programs. It will play other streaming media such as Amazon content and UK Channel 5 catchup.

It won't play the STV programs either.

Since iPlayer and STV are both location-based, before you escalate to Sony, I'm going to ask my work IT consultants to see if it's something about my router.

(although I had moved that router into my home in April before I bought this TV in May, and my previous Bravia ran iPlayer fine. As did this one for brief periods)_

kellydown
Explorer

Update: the IT people changed the firmware on my router (not just an update, something different).

Now everything is working as it should!

Thanks to toastpod and Quinnicus. It was when you said the iPlayer might not be recognising my location that got me thinking about the router. 

Although it was showing as UK-based, there was something about the router firmware that was blocking TV requests.

If I find out exactly what, it might be worth posting here for the benefit of others.

I'm having the same issue. Sometimes I can access Netflix/iplayer etc. Sometimes I can't. I have a BT Infinity hub. How can I change the firmware on that?