Join now - be part of our community!

Youview problem with Android t.v,No TV Listing??

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Youview problem with Android t.v,No TV Listing??

I have an Android Sony kd-49x8309x.

I dont use Freeview HD a lot but i tried it the other day and then tried to switch to Youview which has the catch up options but Youview dont work.

I changed it all fine and picture ok and all connected to internet through ethernet but i get no TV listing at all,i press the Guide button on the remote and i get a slight flicker but nothing comes up to look at the listing/programs just stops on the picture,the only way i can change channel if on Youview is the program button on the remote + and -  ,on freeview i press the Guide button and i get the full program listing where you scrolll up and down to pick the channel,any help would be great.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Thanks for your reply,yes i have put Youview in now and what i did was retune it and i checked to see if the updat while on std by and its on,after doing this i re-booted the t.v as you said and it works fine now so the only thing i didnt do was re-boot it so it must of been that.

Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think the best thing to do at this stage is a simple auto re-scan of the channels. 

Home > Settings > Channel Setup > Digital Setup > Digital Tuning > Digital Auto Tuning     and follow onscreen instructions.

Also in the Digital Setup menu, go into "Guide set-up" and ensure "Update Guide in standby" is set to ON.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@jace1969 wrote:

I have an Android Sony kd-49x8309x.

I dont use Freeview HD a lot but i tried it the other day and then tried to switch to Youview which has the catch up options but Youview dont work.

I changed it all fine and picture ok and all connected to internet through ethernet but i get no TV listing at all,i press the Guide button on the remote and i get a slight flicker but nothing comes up to look at the listing/programs just stops on the picture,the only way i can change channel if on Youview is the program button on the remote + and -  ,on freeview i press the Guide button and i get the full program listing where you scrolll up and down to pick the channel,any help would be great.

Thanks.

Did you retune, as requested, when you switched to YouView?

Not that you should have to - it should just use your Freeview tunings if you skip this step - but it will help in the diagnosis to know.

Besides what Quinnicus suggests, you might like to press the On/Standby button on your remote for just over five seconds, and make the TV soft reboot.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Thanks for the reply,yes i re-tuned when i ever switch to Youview or even back onto Freeview again.

So i never knew there is a place where you can turn the Guide on and off as it works fine on Freeview.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

To confirm things:

1. When in 'Freeview' mode, can you view TV channels (i.e. BBC1)
  2. When in 'Freeview' mode, does the EPG work as expected?
  3. When in 'YouView' mode, can you view TV channels (i.e. BBC1)
  4. When in 'YouView' mode does the EPG work as expected?

From what I understand, it is a YES for the first 3 questions and a NO to the last.  Is this correct?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@jace1969 wrote:

Thanks for the reply,yes i re-tuned when i ever switch to Youview or even back onto Freeview again.

So i never knew there is a place where you can turn the Guide on and off as it works fine on Freeview.

No, it doesn't turn the Guide off; it's just that if you switch to YouView from Freeview, then when you are offered the retune, you can skip this, and then YouView will use the tunings you did for Freeview.

But if you can watch individual channels on YouView, but not get the EPG - did you do the reset I suggested?

if not, can you do it now, and see what effect it has?

if that does not work, then I think your next step is the more extensive Factory Reset, which pulls most things out straight, especially for issues like this, which no-one else has reported, and so looks like a glitch, hopefully one which can be remedied as above, on your particular TV.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Thanks for your reply,yes i have put Youview in now and what i did was retune it and i checked to see if the updat while on std by and its on,after doing this i re-booted the t.v as you said and it works fine now so the only thing i didnt do was re-boot it so it must of been that.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@jace1969 wrote:

Hi - glad it worked for you!

You shouldn't ordinarily need to reboot - this wasn't something you should have done, but missed out, for instance.

But when something goes wrong, it's the first step to take; you took it, and it fixed things. That's great.

profile.country.GB.title
Peeprs
Explorer

I had to retune my TV so many times because of this issue that the tuner is now broken and the mother board

is due to be changed tomorrow

The TV is one year old

Cannot help feeling that the Youview "no information" problem will continue

This TV is not fit for purpose

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

You probably have that backwards.

Your TV did not work because it was faulty, and so tuning it never worked, even though you kept trying this, in vain.

You don’t break a tuner by keeping tuning it. 

As to your our last sentence, you may very well think that; I couldn’t possibly comment..

But whatever is cause and whatever effect, see how it goes after the repair.

You are obligated to allow Sony one repair attempt; if that works, fine.

If not, though, you are not obligated to let Sony try to remedy it any further, and you are entitled to your money back, in full, from the retailer (not from Sony, though if they offer it, you may as well take it).

But do not be fobbed off with offers of a further repair, a replacement, or an exchange, even for a different make, by the retailer; get your cash back to go shopping completely afresh, if you so desire.

Either way, you do not have to keep suffering from the “no information” problem.