Join now - be part of our community!

Stuttering streaming - volume control

Stuttering streaming - volume control

Hi All,

I have recently noticed that when adjusting the volume on my KD49XD8088BU the streamed content stutters.  Prior to any volume adjustment the stream quality is stable its is literally just when the volume button is pressed to raise or lower the level.

it seems to me it’s some kind of processor drain which is ridiculous considering I’m just changing the volume, I mean does that take a lot of processing power?!

The processor on this TV is so underpowered or the software it’s running is not optimised.

let me know if you have this issue or better still a solution.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yup. That's quite an old issue I have b*tching about for a very long time. This is what I believe from my analysis it should happend:

First of all the Volume Bar is practically an Android app. As such it uses RAM. When changing volume the Volume Bar may have been previously closed by Android to free memory. So it needs to be loaded in RAM, there may not be enough free RAM and so the kernel Linux starts the kswapd0 process (I monitored this myself). Which can be quite CPU consuming and, since it works with RAM which is shared, it may block some other CPU operations/processes.

Add to this that the Volume Bar is bugged. It even crashes to be clear. I could identify in the logcat (Android's log) a failure point, where the Volume Bar crashed and then it had to restart (after a minute or two). In general it may take many seconds to change the volume of 30-40 positions over 100. In other words that app is probably the worst piece of junk in these televisions. The best solution is to have an AVR/Soundbar and change the volume with its remote control.

Oh, same identical things for the Settings. Like when you watch a video and press the Action Menu button. Crashes included. Although the crashes are quite less frequent (but the video stuttering may get even more painful).

profile.country.GB.title
Therealsh

indeed an annoying issue....

alternatively use an external Chromecast... nice £30-60 workaround/solution as processing goes away from the TV itself and the volume bar APP has all RAM to eat and crash...

On the other hand what's the point with built-in Chromecast...

It is like saying Android is working slow on a Sony Android TV so buy an external Android TV box (Nvidia) and all will work....

Go figure...