Join now - be part of our community!

Correct way to turn off Android TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
davidrenji
Explorer

Correct way to turn off Android TV

Hi all, I just bouth an Android TV 50W805c. And I'm curious on what's the correct way to turn it off. Because if I press the power button once the screen goes off and if I turn it on the tv appears to be in the same screen or app that I left it, so it looks to me like a standby mode and not a complete turn off. But If I keep the power button pressed for 5 seconds, then I see a message saying the tv will be turn off. Since my tv is plugged to an UPS for protection, after using the tv I like to turn off the UPS, so I want to know the difference between these 2 process (press power button just once and hold it press for 5 sec) and which one should I use in my case that I like to fully disconnect the tv from the power. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If turning the tv off via the mains or surge protector, turn tv to standby mode first and you'll be fine. However the tv wont be able to check for updates over night, so either keep an eye on these forums or download Sonys support app for a mobile or tablet and you'll be notified of any updates.

Cheers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There is no right or wrong answer to this.  However the TV is designed to go into standby mode.  One would normally press the power button on the remote control and the TV turns off.  After a period of time, the TV will go into a 'deep sleep' and thus reduce power substantially.  The TV will 'wake up' a little each night to check for software updates and auto scan channels for changes.

With your UPS connected, i do not know how this will effect the tvs standby.  Most will have some type of surge protection, but a UPS...  :slight_smile:

Holding the power button for 5-10 secords will simply reboot the tv.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
davidrenji
Explorer

Thanks for your answer. Just to clarify I checked and what I have is not a UPS is a surge protection, sorry about that. So in this case that I turn off the surge protection, hence the TV is left with no power, what happens to the tv? I mean could this damage the tv? Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If turning the tv off via the mains or surge protector, turn tv to standby mode first and you'll be fine. However the tv wont be able to check for updates over night, so either keep an eye on these forums or download Sonys support app for a mobile or tablet and you'll be notified of any updates.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
davidrenji
Explorer

I'm fine with that :yahoo: thanks you so much!