Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

Let's talk reviews.

I just got an email from Sony saying as my TV was now 10 days old would I do a review. So I did a balanced review from a life long Sony advocate. Good points = fabulous picture quality. Bad points = clunky part finished operating system. "Would I be likely to recommend" = No.

Got a reply in two days saying my review had been moderated and would not be published.

Can't believe that Sony have resorted to fiddling their review content. It's not as though I used offensive language or even immoderate tone. I just told the truth. It's the truth that scares them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Folkfanger - interesting indeed.  I have always been led to believe that Sony does not censor the reviews unless its against rules.  I dont suppose you kept a copy of your review?  Reason being - if you say its not offensive etc and i have no reason not to belive you, i would like to seek clarrification from Sony higher up the chain.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Folkfanger I had the same experience, having a review rejected. They won't tell you why, so I just adjusted the words very slightly and followed the resubmission process and it was published. I think the review is moderated by an external agent following a rule set, I could not work out why my original broke the rules either. Ther review I had published was...

Good picture - some issues
108 CM (43”) 05/10/2015 by Mouseman38
Good quality picture, but some features are awaiting a software update. Youview, PAP and HDD recording not yet available. I recommend checking with Sony before purchase so I cannot recommend yet.

....this was on 5/10/15. Under the 43-W805 range. There were more critical reports than mine published. 

Knowing what hat I do now I would warn people, that HDD recording and Satellite tuners cannot be used if YouView enabled. Sony are still quite shy about telling people this ! 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
scoopy6

The Freeview/Freesat switching/recording 'problem' applies to our 3 year old Panasonic F8000, although that does does not have YouView. The Panasonic can certainly switch between watching the terrestrial and satellite sets of tuners with their EPGs populated but, if both dish and aerial are physically connected, recording cannot work properly. 3 years from the launch no one else has complained to the JL branch and I cannot find any other posts complaing about it, so it must be nit picking on our part :wink:

I guess there is not even an EPG for the Sony Androids' satellite TV so any future recording function would need to use individual timers, which might even be less hard to implement for Sony, but perhaps it was not considered worthwhile to facilitate switching between YouView and the EPG either. I think Sony is first with YouView but does anyone know of other TVs which can switch on the fly between FreeSat and Freeview, or schedule recordings for both?

49X8309C in uk
mikeyd0407

Indeed, all of the pre-release press material is stored online.......

http://web.archive.org/web/20150715000000*/http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-seri...

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

Hi Quinnicus.

Unfortunately I didn't think to make a copy so I cant recite every word but the gist of it was in my previous post.

I have now read Sony's rules and can't see any I might have broken. I can only assume it falls under this rider to son's rules:

"All content that you submit may be used at SONY’s sole discretion."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a shame Folkfanger.  I guess if you want a review published, try resubmitting another one as frogger said above.

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

@frogger38

I thought I was being a good citizen taking the time to write a review. I always try to review whenever asked... Amazon, ebay or whoever. Most of my reviews are positive because I'm delighted with my purchases, but obviously not always. In this case I spent £2300 on a Sony TV despite most reviews telling me to get Samsung. Why? because I have had sony TVs for over 20 years and they have always been better than the competition. This model has a great picture but it does not operate as well as the 5 year old Sony that I have replaced.

I've read Sony's review rules and have certainly not broken any.

I don't feel inclined to write another review trying to find wording that Sony or its partner CRR likes.

HairyFool

I have raised this issue with the Competetition and Marketing Authority. The more that do the better. When offering reviews as part of a marketing presentation it is against the regulations to filter out unacceptable ones other than because of abuse or incorrect information.
paudanie8

I'm not even sure I'd say it has a great picture. 

My TV has a massive amount of bleed at the bottom. The likes of which I've only seen on flat screens from 8 years ago.