Join now - be part of our community!

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

profile.country.en_GB.title
ozzy7781
Visitor

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

Hi

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a dark streak going down the middle of the screen of my 40" KDL-40V3000. This seems to be more noticable when watching football.

The TV is 2 1/2 years old (6 months out of warranty and shock - it starts to play up!)

I've scanned the net and it seems I'm not alone with this issue. Another chap has the same issue with his Sony TV and posted a picture on the following forum....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1310747-my-tv-has-dark-streaks-please-help.html

This hasn't really been answered on this site so I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced this or can maybe diagnose from seeing the image?

I'm unsure what to do from here. Although the warranty has run out, this should not happen to a 2 1/2 yr old TV that cost nearly £1000 when released. Is it cost effective to fix? should I just replace it?? or is there a slim chance Sony will help?

Any advice would be a great help.

64 REPLIES 64
unhappycustomer
Visitor

You are not alone. See my message in this discussion board titled "Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?"

So now there are 4 of us with what appears to be very similar problems on sets of a similar age and price.  About time for a response from Sony.

grspenc84
Visitor

I too have a Sony KDL40W4500 Bravia TV bought in Jan 09 which now has dark lines running across the screen with double "ghost" images which eventually clear after 20 mins or so.  Given this was a £1000 TV supposedly at the cutting edge of technology, I cannot accept this as a reasonable fault through wear and tear and can only summise this is due to a faulty part.

I am writing to COMET who sold me the TV to make the point that it was obviously not fit for purpose. 

mstaniak
Explorer

So, seems like I am not alone?

I bought KDL-40V3000 in Dec 2007 for a lot of money... in 2009 fault appeared near right hand side of the screen - is there anything we can do?

Sony - can't you see you'replaying dirty with us?!

SonyMish
Visitor

It is very strange. The time seems to be between 2 to 2.5 years. I bought my KDL46W4500 in Feb 2009 and exactly the same thing started to happen to it last night. I have read somewhere that this is a know issue and Sony has extended the warranty for this issue to October 2012. Can someone confirm?

Mnay thanks.

leonintelex
Visitor

Yes, this is exactly the same problem that I am having.  The TV is only 2.5 years old and the screen is in a really bad way, I am furious with this as I spent over £1000 on this TV.

I have e-mailed Sony and they have done very little to help, they have asked me to pay £60 to a service centre and if it turns out to be their fault then they may contribute to the repairs.

This is clearly a common problem with the KDL V3000 model.   I am going to get consumer advice on this and also write to BBC's watchdog as this is unacceptable, is anyone else prepared to help with this?  It does not take a genius to work out that this is a fault with this panel and if Sony really care about its customers they should try to help without making us jump through hoops!)

I will post some pics of the fault, can everyone please do the same.  I have noticed that it is worse on a light grey screen which clearly shows the problem.

Also, if anyone else is reading this and has the same problem then please register and post

andrewbeaumont1
Visitor

Yep me too, exactly the same wavy dark shadows on my screen. Extremely annoying when watching soccer or rugby.

Catmambo
Contributor

Do please raise this with the call centre so they can try and assist as each case is dealt with on its own merit.

Thanks

leonintelex
Visitor

The response at the call centre was awful.  Like I said the only offered to pick up the screen and charge me for it then they may decide to fix it.

Clearly this effects a large number of people with exactly the same TV (The V3000!), this is a manufacturing fault.

I will be writing a formal letter of complaint but at this present time I am just trying to find out the scale of the problem.

If you have this fauly with your Sony KDLv3000 then please post.

leonintelex
Visitor

Also just wanted to add that if the streak have just recently appeared then be prepared as they get worse over time.

They appeared on mine about 7 months ago and now my TV is barely watchable!