Join now - be part of our community!

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

profile.country.en_GB.title
ozzy7781
Visitor

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

Hi

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a dark streak going down the middle of the screen of my 40" KDL-40V3000. This seems to be more noticable when watching football.

The TV is 2 1/2 years old (6 months out of warranty and shock - it starts to play up!)

I've scanned the net and it seems I'm not alone with this issue. Another chap has the same issue with his Sony TV and posted a picture on the following forum....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1310747-my-tv-has-dark-streaks-please-help.html

This hasn't really been answered on this site so I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced this or can maybe diagnose from seeing the image?

I'm unsure what to do from here. Although the warranty has run out, this should not happen to a 2 1/2 yr old TV that cost nearly £1000 when released. Is it cost effective to fix? should I just replace it?? or is there a slim chance Sony will help?

Any advice would be a great help.

64 REPLIES 64
mstaniak
Explorer

Crap response from Sony:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 13/02/2011 01.22 PM.

I am sorry to learn of the problem you are encountering with your KDL-40V3000.

We have no information about this being a known issue and as such it will need to be investigated further by an Authorised Service Centre.

To locate your nearest Authorised Service Centre, please go to www.sony.co.uk."

It is unacceptable - piece of lies and 'sorry' is not enough! I am sorry I spent over £1,100 on rubbish TV set which lasted 2.5 years. Let's start independent on-line campaign (far from Sony forum which they can manipulate) and find how many of us are really there   :thinking:

lal2229
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem with the same model after 2 yrs & 9 months. It MUST be a fault. I am trying to get a replacement/repair from the place I bought it from under the Sale of Goods Act as detailed at http://www.ledtvs.net/faulty-led-tv/

Looking at other forums it seems that Toshiba know what customer care/support really is!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/1061134-marks-inside-my-lcd-tv-screen.html

Message was edited by: lal2229

kingnezzer
Visitor

Looks like im not the only one then as my 46v3000 has had these streaks since last year and they are getting worse esp on uniform colours (like football). I've posted several comments on Av Forums so this is becomming a common problem. Come on Sony this fault needs sorting now! A £1000 plus tv should not last for only 3 years a recall should be made and not a "its not our fault, its yours for not taking out the extended warranty" that i was quoted to when i phoned them. 

Message was edited by: kingnezzer

jaymacspurs
Visitor

Yep, same problem with my V3000, it will be 3 years old this month and have had the same shadows and ghosting.

Followed the same steps most people have here, contacted Sony and got an awful response, basically that not a known fault and to get it checked out at my own expense.

Then tried consumer direct and the sale of goods act, which was a dead end because the place I bought it 'changed ownership' (or went bust in other words) and reformed so they are not responsible anymore.

I want to know why we are all having the same issues at the same time with the same TV yet Sony

'don't recognise' this as a problem ... unbelievable.

I am up for a Watchdog campaign, they can't be allowed to get away with this...

nishmalek
Visitor

yes i have the same problem. same age also. sony say its not a known fault which is.. i wish all the other people out there with the same fault would complain so sony would do something about it.

i have posted the same thing under "kdl40v3000 dark lines/shadows"

i am just waiting for sony to accept that there is a manufacturing fault with this model and they should replace them

Message was edited by: -charlie-

PeterT111
Visitor

This problem is not restricted to the 40 inch. I have exactly the same symptoms, two dark shadows running almost vertically they start a few inches from the bottom off the screen and run to a few inches from the top. \they are about and inch wide but vary in thickness along their length and about an inch apart. They are about 10 inches from the right hand side of the screen.

My Model is KDL-46D3500

102.JPG

The set is two years old. I have not yet spoken with Sony as I found this as soon as I looked on Google.

jpw40V3000
Visitor

Hi

You can add me to the list of people with the same problem.

Sony gave me the number for a local Sony service centre, turns out to be a local restaurant.

Looks like I will be moving to LG.

Boughtafewsonys
Visitor

make sure you check out the other LCD failure threads on this forum

you are not alone!

I am currently dealing with T-Conn / panel failure on a similar aged Bravia

Sale of Goods Act is your friend and you should NOT be paying for the repair

It is reasonable of you to have expected a TV of this quality (!) and cost to have lasted more than 2 years

Boughtafewsonys
Visitor

and here is what my £100- sony tv does so well

[

Message was edited by: Boughtafewsonys

kingnezzer
Visitor

Does anyone from Sony actually ever read these forums?