Join now - be part of our community!

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

profile.country.en_GB.title
ozzy7781
Visitor

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

Hi

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a dark streak going down the middle of the screen of my 40" KDL-40V3000. This seems to be more noticable when watching football.

The TV is 2 1/2 years old (6 months out of warranty and shock - it starts to play up!)

I've scanned the net and it seems I'm not alone with this issue. Another chap has the same issue with his Sony TV and posted a picture on the following forum....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1310747-my-tv-has-dark-streaks-please-help.html

This hasn't really been answered on this site so I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced this or can maybe diagnose from seeing the image?

I'm unsure what to do from here. Although the warranty has run out, this should not happen to a 2 1/2 yr old TV that cost nearly £1000 when released. Is it cost effective to fix? should I just replace it?? or is there a slim chance Sony will help?

Any advice would be a great help.

64 REPLIES 64
mstaniak
Explorer

Yes, actually quite often, but they can do nothing but give us useless advices from time to time and sort one individual issue per month per advisor just to receive single positive feedback through the forum...

Just look at the top right hand side - all Top Participants with SONY avatar are Sony employees :slight_frown:

leonintelex
Visitor

Short answer.. no!

If they do then please post advice on what owners of this set who are experiencing these problems can do (what options)?

This problem will not go away if you try to sweep it under the rug,  it is very clear that a large amount of Sony V3000 Tv's have a serious manufacturing problem, please try to fix this for us instead of denying th problem exists!    

leonintelex
Visitor

Unfortanatley Sony no doubt will not give the moderators enough power to try and rectify this.   The only way for Sony to ever take notice is to take this public, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts I am building up a list of users with this problem and will be getting advice on the best way to tackle this.

I am also planning to forward this to numerous consumer watchdogs,  hopefully we will then Sony will acknowledge the problem and then try to resolve this.

The sad thing is I am going to have to put a lot of my own time, energy, money into making this happen which means it makes a bad situation much worse.

leonintelex
Visitor

Here is my orginal post from last month, please take the time to read it:

Yes, this is exactly the same  problem that I am having.  The TV is only 2.5 years old and the screen  is in a really bad way, I am furious with this as I spent over £1000 on  this TV.

I have e-mailed Sony and they have done very little  to help, they have asked me to pay £60 to a service centre and if it  turns out to be their fault then they may contribute to the repairs.

This is clearly a common problem with the KDL  V3000 model.   I am going to get consumer advice on this and also write  to BBC's watchdog as this is unacceptable, is anyone else prepared to  help with this?  It does not take a genius to work out that this is a  fault with this panel and if Sony really care about its customers they  should try to help without making us jump through hoops!)

I  will post some pics of the fault, can everyone please do the same.  I  have noticed that it is worse on a light grey screen which clearly shows  the problem.

Also, if anyone else is reading this and has the same problem then please register and post

mstaniak
Explorer

So count me in.

... and there's few pics attached (fault clearly visible at the right hand side bottom of the screen).

-frank-
Visitor

StartTheCar has given a long description of the escalation process for this and similar faults in the following thread:
https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/646308#646308
Hope that helps!

jpw40V3000
Visitor

Here are pictures of my screen.

Not too bad at the moment, but I guess from other posts that it will get worse.

It's anoying when the picture pans and the smudge says in one place.

leonintelex
Visitor

Sorry I have taken the time to read the response and the apparent escalation procedure and I think it simply a fob off rather than a helpful response.

Why  is it so hard for Sony to admit this is a common fault with this TV  set,  you are still making customers chase round the houses to get this  resolved.

You want us to

• Send the TV in and pay £70 for it to be looked at.
  • Then  wait anxiously for Sony to decide if its a manufacturing fauly with no  guarantees that the customer wont end up with the bill (notice how they  say we NAY decide to fix it free of charge)
  • Wait 4 - 6 weeks for it to be repaired with no TV 

This is the service I get for sending countless e-mails, huge amounts of my time and 12 months trying to get this sorted!

The  TV has a clear fauly, there should be an official procedure we should  follow, acknowledgment that this is a fauly with the set,  guarantee's  that the TV will be either fixed or replaced at no cost to the  customers, a replacement TV while the TV is in for repair.

This is not much to ask, all we want is the TV we bought to just work as it was intended with minumum amount of fuss.

This would be a good gesture which would restore a little bit of customer satisfaction and faith in Sony as a brand.

ALL: Please read through the response and if you are still not happy (like me) then continue to post if you are experiencing this issue (grey lines etc) we now have 72 people who all have this identical fault with mainly with the V3000.    This issue is far from resolved!

duncangal999
Visitor

Add me to the list - KDL - 40v 3000 bought april 2008.

Mine looks wirse than your pics though - I will take some tonight and post tomorrrow.

Shocking.

Pinball
Visitor

KDL-40V3000 bought March 2008.

My streaks/shadows are very bad , will also snap some pics and post them up.

Edited to include photos of the Streaks/Shadows