Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-N21e/w wifi suddenly not working

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
castman
Visitor

VGN-N21e/w wifi suddenly not working

Hi,

I switched my Vaio VGN-N21e/w on this evening and found I cound not connect to my wireless network. On clicking the network icon in the taskbar (Vista Home remium) it told me there were no wireless networks to connect to - even though I was two feet from my router and my iphone was getting the wifi signal OK.

I re-started the Vaio, and on doing so noticed the wifi light on the front does not light either.

I cant find the instruction manual, is there a way I could have accidentely switched off wifi? The Windows troubleshooter suggests I've somehow switched wifi off.

Any help appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am unsure as to why Vaio Smart Network is not showing but let’s first make sure that the wireless switch is on.

You will find the switch on the front of the right hand side.

You can find your user manual here.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/documentation/manuals/index.aspx?m=VGN-N21E_W&l=en_GB

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi castman,

I assume that the wireless switch is on?

If you have the Vaio Smart Network visible in the system tray then double click this and make sure that WLAN is enabled.

Alternatively click Start > All Programs and select Vaio Control Center > expand Network Connections and select Vaio Smart Network. Click on the Advanced tab.

Is WLAN enabled (green light). Also click the right arrow and make sure that mode is 2.4GHz.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
castman
Visitor

Hi thanks for the speedy reply.

I do not seem to have the menus you suggest I open. First I d not have the Vaio Smart Network icon in the task bar. If I open Vaio Control Center and then open the Network Connections I have two services listed:

Local Area Connection 1 (which relates to a wired connection via the Marvell Yucon adapter) and

Local Area connection 2: Wireless Network Coonection - Not Connected - LAN Express AS IEEE802.11g

I tried to attach a photo of my desktop but this board wouldn't let me upload it saying the content type is not allowed 😞

If I right click on the wireless network connection I am taken to another box that tells me there are no networks.

All this suggests to me that either the wifi module has developed a fault or is switched off but I don't know how to switch it on.

I further don't understand why I do not have the Vaio Smart Network menu or icon, which you mention and Sony's help section refers to

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am unsure as to why Vaio Smart Network is not showing but let’s first make sure that the wireless switch is on.

You will find the switch on the front of the right hand side.

You can find your user manual here.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/documentation/manuals/index.aspx?m=VGN-N21E_W&l=en_GB

Capture.JPG

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
castman
Visitor

I feel somewhat foolish, I had never noticed the on/off switch on the side before!! It would appear that for the first time in 4 years I had accidently managed to switch  it off! I am more used to laptop having the Fn+F2 command to switch wifi on/off

Thank you for your time and trouble

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're very welcome castman:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat