Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio hard drive compatibility

Vaio hard drive compatibility

Can I transfer the harddrive from a sony vaio laptop model VPCYB3V1e to a model VPCM13M1E?

VPCYB3V1e is having trouble charging.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mermaid_girl,

There are numerous hardware differences between the two models, so if you are expecting to plug the drive into the VPCM13M1E and hoping it will boot and work this will not happen.

The drive itself is however hardware compatible but you will need to reset it to factory settings for the VPCM13M1E using the Vaio Recovery Media that you presumably created?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Thanks. So I cannot simply transfer the hard drive and expect all my files and programs to work and look the same in the new laptop?

What about Sony Vaio vpcyb3v1e hard drive into VPCYB2M1E?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

@mermaid_girl wrote:

What about Sony Vaio vpcyb3v1e hard drive into VPCYB2M1E?

Those two models are closer in specification but the only way to find out if it will boot is to try it. No doubt you will need to update many of the drivers even if you do have a part working system.

Do I take it that you didn’t create recovery media for the VPCM13M1E? Recovery media can be purchased from Sony support but if you have not backed up your personal data you may need to consider purchasing a USB SATA caddy to then attach the drive to another computer to retrieve necessary files.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Hi Rich

What is recovery media? Will I lose my data, if I don't use this before removing the hard drive?

I can't get through to Sony support.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mermaid_girl,

Recovery media is the DVD's necessary to return your notebook to factory settings. Using these will format the hard drive prior to reinstalling the operating system, drivers and preinstalled software, thus losing all personal data.

If you remove the drive and place it in a USB caddy you should be able to access all your personal data on another computer assuming that the drive is not damaged.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat