Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading a Sony PCG -Z600HEK LAPTOP

profile.country.en_GB.title
Quovadistamworth
Visitor

Upgrading a Sony PCG -Z600HEK LAPTOP

Hi all , A friend of mine has given me a laptop asking if I can ugrade it at all I think it has 128 ram and a 20 gb hard drive. running windows 2000

I know the ram can be upgraded to 256 but what about the drive and software ?

Any thoughts or information appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Quovadistamworth,

I believe that a machine of this age has an IDE hard disk BIOS limitation of 137GB. I have in the past upgraded a similar aged machine to 90GB without problem.

Not sure what you mean about the software...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
Quovadistamworth
Visitor

Hi , Thanks for that , so are you saying increase the ram to max 137gb ,,,, what about the size of the hard drive can that be increased in size..... I was meaning if the software can be upgraded to say xp vista ...I very much doubt 7 ..............any links where I can visit to read about this and where spares are avaialble ?  Is there a link where one can put such questions direct to sony ?

kind regards

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Quovadistamworth,

No, I’m saying that the hard drive can possibly be upgraded to 137GB. The maximum RAM that this machine will recognise is 256MB Memory type is SDR - PC133 (SO-DIMM) speed 133Mhz. You may find difficulty finding this now.

As to upgrading the operating system forget it as with only 256MB RAM max. you will struggle to run even XP.

You can check the specifications for this model on the Sony Support site.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PCG-Z600HEK/updates

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat