Join now - be part of our community!

Touchpad No More/ Any help?

cabbott1
Visitor

Touchpad No More/ Any help?

Hi Guys

Notebook VGN-A215Z

I have to say I bought the Sony Vaio a little over 1month ago now and I wont look back. Superb computer, However I needed extra ram as I run lots of graphics work. I followed the Sony Instructions. It was so easy to install the ram, bit bizarre lifting the keys out.

Problem!
Switched everything on and it was lightning fast. However no touchpad. Nothing, did the standard reboot etc and nothing. I also noticed no lights (Hdd, CD etc) Thinking I had moved something I unscrewed the keypad again to take a closer look.

Disaster!
I noticed a brown type plastic cable going into the mainboard, It had bent at the end and tore a minute rip. I guess this was the cable which controlled the touchpad and lights etc. Its similar in shape and look to the keypad cable.

I have had the laptop 1 month and I have a problem. I'm using a USB mouse just now.

What to do?
What should I do next guys? I'm living in the UK. Does anyone know if it will covered in the guarantee? and If I did submit it for repair how long would such a thing take?

If anyone can share info please do so.

Many Thanks
Colin Abbott

4 REPLIES 4
Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Hi Colin

Welcome to the Forum:smileygrin:

As you have 'modified' your PC, technically you have invalidated your warranty.

I would suggest you take the RAM out of the PC and return it back to its original condition. Contact Sony (phone numbers here and tell them that mouse pad appears to have gone belly-up and for some strange reason no longer works.

Worth a try. It should take around a week to fix.

Also, have a look at the original utility driver pack on the Vaio-link download page. It may just be that you have lost one or two of the utilities when you upgraded the RAM.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Damn, I have a feeling they will notice that though TR.
Hope they don't go OTT on the repair bill.

cabbott1
Visitor

Thanks for all your help.

Im over the moon with the Sony, the upgrade your memory thing was easy to follow and there didnt seem to be any problems.

If they are unhappy and want to charge me, how much would such a thing cost??

Thanks
Colin

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No idea Colin as they do individual quotes.