Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio - VPC-F23b9e Specifications

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sdgupta
Visitor

Sony Vaio - VPC-F23b9e Specifications

Does any one know the full specification of this latptop.  Including if the RAM can be upgraded. I have found from JohnLewis some of the information i.e. it comes with 4Gb but cannot find anything (even at sony) about what the maxium memory could be, how many memory slots it has, what memory types are/would be compatible etc.

Any advice on the above and also full details about the laptop would be gratefully accepted.  I am extremely disappointed that this information is not available from Sony,

S.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi sdgupta,

The missing specifications seem to be a glitch in a recent forum upgrade and Sony are aware of this – hopefully it will soon be corrected.

Your model does ship with 4GB RAM and I think that this is 1 module with one empty slot. If so you can upgrade to 8 GB with the addition of one 4 GB module.

To be sure on this I suggest you run the System Advisor tool from Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi sdgupta,

The missing specifications seem to be a glitch in a recent forum upgrade and Sony are aware of this – hopefully it will soon be corrected.

Your model does ship with 4GB RAM and I think that this is 1 module with one empty slot. If so you can upgrade to 8 GB with the addition of one 4 GB module.

To be sure on this I suggest you run the System Advisor tool from Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
sdgupta
Visitor

Many thanks for your response.  I thought I had tried most of the memory checkers.  I have tried this one and it has worked and given me the answers.  My laptop seem to contain DDR3-PC3-10600 (non-ecc) memory.  It has a single 4gb module installed.   There are a total of 2 slots and 1 slot is free which would allow another 4Gb  module to be installed making a total of 8Gb which is the maximum the laptop can take.

The only issue of course is that by getting anyone (including authorised sony organisations) to install the extra memory invalidates the warranty, but at least I know it can be done.

many thanks once again.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome sdgupta. :slight_smile:

Contrary to popular opinion installing aditional memory does not invalidate your warranty. Sony even supply details for most models on how to add memory.

If incorrect memory modules are fitted and this causes problems or damage is caused when fitting the modules  then justifiably Sony would not accept responsibility for any repair.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
sdgupta
Visitor

That's interesting.  When I spoke to Sony they told me that it would Invalidate warranty, which did surprise me.  It also indicates that it would in the Manual.  Evidently if it does not invalidate it then I would seriously consider upgrading the RAM to 8Gb.  Either by adding another 4gb module or by replacing it with a matched pair of 2x4gb.

thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Your manual states:

Your VAIO computer and memory modules use high precision components and electronic connectors technology. To avoid invalidation of the warranty during your product warranty period, we recommend that:

You should contact your dealer to install a new memory module.

You should not install it yourself, if you are not familiar with upgrading memory on a computer.

You should not touch the connectors or open the memory module compartment cover.

For assistance, contact an authorized Sony service/support center. To find the nearest center or agent, see Finding More about Your VAIO Computer

As stated previously, if you do anything that causes damaged when installing the memory then you risk voiding the warranty. The above recommends that you do not undertake the work yourself if you are unfamiliar with the process – sensible advice.

Nowhere does it state that by installing additional memory you WILL void your warranty – just recommendations....

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat