Join now - be part of our community!

Slow boot on my GTR-815E

BillSpaarbank
Visitor

Slow boot on my GTR-815E

My vaio boots up very slow. It takes about 40 seconds just to get past the BIOS. I see a black screen with white 'i's which very slowly becomes white. After this the Windows XP screen appears, this will take about another 60 seconds. After another while Windows will finally run, creating a total boottime of over 3 minutes.

The part that worries me is the thing with the white i's. How do I get gid of this? I'm told that the black screen should only be visible on older machines.

I used Diskkeeper to defrag my harddrive. I run AVG antivirus, adaware Pro and Spyware Search & Destroy. None of those programs came up with anything. I used RegSupreme to search for errors. Nothing should be wrong. Even a format including a new install didn't help.

I also tried several prefetch settings in the register of Windows (backed-up the old settings offcourse :wink: ). None of the above helped. Windows XP itself runs fine by the way.

Could the problem be a hardware error? Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I have a feeling it could be hardware related, as the BIOS is taking a long time to initialiate.

I would contact VAIO Link

BillSpaarbank
Visitor

I forgot to mention in my first post that the mainboard has been replaced by Sony about three month ago. Someone knocked over a glass of water over my keyboard and fried the original mainboard. Before this happened I had the same problem. The BIOS is on the mainboard right?

kee-lo_

Yes it's on the mainboard.

Maybe the video card is holding up the proceedings?

BillSpaarbank
Visitor

What would be a good way to check this? The GRT-815E has a Geforce FX 5600 go and I got the latest drivers from the vaiosupport site. I upgraded the driver later from the Nvidia site to version 66.93.

kee-lo_

I don't think you can check it.

Jay1
Visitor

Have u tried up dating the bois and u did not change the bois setting did u ??, if so then go to the bois menu and click on default setting.

BillSpaarbank
Visitor

Yes I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. I might have turned off the serialport in the BIOS. I'll try to reset it tonight. The BIOS-settings are limited though...

-edit- typo's

BillSpaarbank
Visitor

I get the following error in my Windowslog. It basicly means that the Dpthwpsai-service can't be started because the file doesn't excist. Clicking the Microsoft link turns up zero results. Google doesn't know what the Dpthwpsai-service is either. I this is causing the problem. If I look under services the Dpthwpsai-service isn't there.

Anyone ideas?

ftalet
Visitor

I have the same problem with a PCG-FR215E from two weeks.
My notebook vaio boot up very slow and the HDD respond very slow too.

What to advise us to do ?