Join now - be part of our community!

rm vc10e remote commander

olafb
Visitor

rm vc10e remote commander

I had an engineer recently install some software on my machine (RC102) for using a VPN. While he was working on my machine I asked him to remove some programs from the start up group and programs from the task bar at the bottom. I wanted these removed becasue I have to continually shut them down when I use my video editing software to get rid of background tasks. I notice now that my remote control won't work for anything (ie volume control etc). Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi olafb,

Welcome to the forum

Click Start>run then type msconfig, select the startup tab this should allow you to enable the startup programs that the engineer stopped. If you enable one, then check your remote. If it has not started working disable the startup program again & try another one.

olafb
Visitor

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried what you suggested but it seems that all the items listed are ticked already! Any other suggestions? I presumed it must be this because only two things happened while the engineer was here:
1. he loaded vpn software and software to enable use of a remote citrix server; and
2. he removed items I told him to remove from my status bar; some were deleted from the main start>all programs>startup; others were removed from another part of the pc which looked scarey!
What else could it be?

However, thinking about it, one item I told him to remove from the status bar was roxio drag to disc; now that doesn't appear to be listed in the startup tab. Also, I know that he didn't use this method (the method you suggested) to disable the programs. From memory, he went to and area called 'run' after going through a number of sub folders. Also it wasn't a matter of ticking it was a matter of deleting. I think!

On the subject, I am reasonably pc literate and normally manage to work things out eventually either from just thinking about the problem logically or by searching the internet for help. I have never been into msconfig unitl reading your reply. I want to understand more about this area. Where should I look to learn more? Any books?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Olaf

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Maybe you should reinstall the utils.exe from C:\Utils\

olafb
Visitor

Thank you for the suggestion. I did as you recommended but alas, no luck. I am really grateful for you replying and trying to help.

Any other suggestions? It is really annoying! Funny thing is, I didn't use the remote very much but now that I CANT use it, I want to be able to!