Join now - be part of our community!

Replacing HDD in Sony VAIO VGN SZ2XP/C

gavinw
Visitor

Replacing HDD in Sony VAIO VGN SZ2XP/C

:slight_frown:

So... I am looking to replace the HDD in my Sony Vaio VGN SZ2XP. This will be the second time that I will have had to do this... the first time I sent it back to Sony and they replaced the HDD for me.. this time I don't have time/patience to deal with the courier etc.

Either it is a faulty HDD or it is something about Sony Vaio's and Sleeping with Vista etc.
The machine will boot as far as loading crcdisk.sys and then the HDD stops and crashes... trying to reinstall Windows and reformat dosn't do anything either...

I've tried to search for this as I'm sure it is a FAQ, but see my other post about search not working on the forums.

I've unscrewed the screws on the base and I can see where memory goes in, but I cannot see how I can find out where the HDD is and change it...

Can anyone help??

Thanks... (getting REALLY unhappy with Sony here which is such a pity as on the surface the Vaio's are a great notebook).

Gavin

5 REPLIES 5
thephongh
Visitor

Hi,

What's your problem with the "sleep" of WIndows Vista? Windows cannot get up? I had this problem and solved it. It's because of the Nvidia driver, please install the driver downloaded from VAIO-link, don't let Windows Vista update the VGA driver automatically.

Regarding the HDD, if you want to change it, here's the complet guide:

http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=43&page=1

Regards,

gavinw
Visitor

Thanks a lot thepongh...
This worked fine... new installation of Vista in there...
Let's see now if Sony trashes this HDD too.

Sebby
Visitor

If you're going to replace the drive yourself, go for a Seagate. That way, you get a 5 year warranty. I'm using a 100GB Seagate Momentus 5400.3 in my VAIO and it's a great drive.

profile.country.de_DE.title
joxxkirsxxdortmundxger
Visitor

Sorry, but I cannot open this link or this page!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

joxxkirsxxdortmundxger wrote:

Sorry, but I cannot open this link or this page!

See the reply to your other thread HERE