Join now - be part of our community!

No Audio line-in on my Vaio laptop

Michael_V
Visitor

No Audio line-in on my Vaio laptop

Hi,

I was very disappointed to notice that there is no AUDIO LINE IN connector on my VAIO laptop PCG-K315B and cannot understand then why they included SonicStage Mastering Studio software and tell that it is so easy to record/masterize dircectly from old cassette tapes etc...

I also thought of inputting my line audio signal into the mic input, but I noticed that that must be only a mono input... so nu use !!

Can anyone tell me how I then can record my audio line signals ?
Do I have to buy such an ASIO device ?
And what would be the most convenient solution ?

Awaiting your replies.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Email

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

There's a device which you can plug to the USB hub, but it's not a soundcard, wish I bookmarked things!!

The Extergy is also amazing.

kee-lo_

Actually I have found it.

See this

Michael_V
Visitor

Thanks Kee-Lo for your reply !

But I still would have preferred if they had put an Audio Line-In connector directly to the laptop.... it would not have cost that much more in production costs...

waveshell
Visitor

I'm not sure about this, but I think the mic-input serves as a combination of both line-in and mic-in. Have you tried using the input as is if it were a line-input?
If you have the same built-in audio card as I do, Realtek AC97, try downloading the latest driver at http://www.realtek.com.tw/
ver. 3.69. It has a selfdetection software that enables the computer to detect what kind of sound source is connected.
Maybe that will help.

Regards
/Mikael W.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, what you want is one of these

Edirol UA-5

With SS mastering studio you can use this device to record in 24bit/192khz it connects with USB and has a good range of inputs.

This one is mentioned by Sony as a preffered device.

there are plenty of other external USB cards to choose from have a look at the main site, sub.co.uk.

Hope this helps

C

kee-lo_

I agree, they should put one in anyway.

Not sure if that works, but test it if you want.
Be careful not to put a loud source on though.

Michael_V
Visitor

Thanks Mikael !

Yes I have Realtek AC97 as well but do you have the same laptop as I have ?

I think that my audioinput is only wired internally as a mic-input because the icon besides that connector represents only a microphone and not the usual symbol of a line in connector...
I already tried to supply a normal audio line signal to this connector and first of all it was very distorted and secondly only the left channel came through and the other was shorted.... that's why I assume that the connector inside the laptop is only wired as a mic. mono input plug... 😞

I visited the link you gave me but couldn't find the update you told about.

Hope to hear you again,

Regards,
Michael

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yes, the Mic-In also serves as Line-In. It's mono only.

Michael_V
Visitor

I am sorry but no, it is definitely not a line input because I cannot change the input sensitivity... also, clicking on the speaker icon in my system tray, doesn't show me the line-in volume slider...
😞