Join now - be part of our community!

My touch pad on my Vaio refuses to work

profile.country.en_GB.title
Aidan00
Visitor

My touch pad on my Vaio refuses to work

The touch pad on my sony Vaio has all of the sudden refused to work, I recieved it on the 15th of august this year and it was working fine, but all of the sudden after a few days of using it, the touch pad refused to work, and when it did work it was only for a short amount of time and also it caused the whole screen to zoom in and out. I kept on trying and it worked for a bit, but now it doesn't work at all and I am forced to use a mobile mouse instead. Can someone help? I need to know whether there is anything I can do, or whether or not I have to send it in for repairs. Due to the fact this is supposed to be my laptop for my University years it is kinda important for it to be in working order

Oh and my Vaio's product name is VPCEH1C5E and it's model is a PCG-71811M, just thought I should add those in

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Aidan,

Open Device Manager and expand ‘Mice and other pointing devices’. Is there an ‘Alps Pointing-device’ listed? If so right click the device, select Properties, and check on the General tab that it is working correctly. Then click the ‘Driver’ tab and let us know the Driver Provider.

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Aidan00
Visitor

Thanks for the help rich,

It states that the Alps pointing-device is working properly, and the driver provider is Alps from the only bit I could see, what i have done though, is rolled back the updates so I have the original on my laptop, at the moment it is working a lot better, but if it continues to malfunction, I shall reply to this thread

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Aidan,

If you continue to have problems then try reinstalling the original driver that can be downloaded from here:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Aidan00
Visitor

I did as you said, because it stopped working after a while, so i uninstalled the alps software then i installed it again from where you said, but now it doesn't work at all, the left and right buttons do, but the mouse doesn't at all, I can't move it at all so I really have no idea what to do? is there any way to completely restore my laptop to it's original settings or wont that work?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Aidan,

Assuming that the problem is not hardware related then a recovery to factory defaults should rectify the problem.

To do this you can either use your recovery disks (assuming that you have created them) or tap F10 at boot when you see the Vaio logo to enter the hard disk recovery utility. Be aware that by proceeding you will lose all personal data that you have not backed up to an external drive and any third party software will need to be reinstalled.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat