Join now - be part of our community!

Loss of functions after Windows 7 upgrade: please help!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Viviners
Visitor

Loss of functions after Windows 7 upgrade: please help!

Ok, my first post on here so please be kind!

My laptop:  Sony Vaio VGN-AR71S  (originally with Vista Home Premium 32-bit)

What I did:  A "clean" install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

The problem:  Many of the special keys on the laptop are not working, e.g. the 'blue' function keys for adjusting brightness, the disk eject and volume keys, keys S1 and S2 etc. Also the built in card readers for SD and MemoryStick don't work.  Also I used to be able to permanently adjust the brightness, but can't do so now.

I am so disappointed and am wishing I had not bothered to upgrade.

I'm sure I can't be the first person to have had this problem and I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.  Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately you have encountered a 'double-whammy' in that Sony do not support Windows 7 on your model, and Sony do not support your model with 64-bit drivers and utilities.

Many people, including myself, have upgraded AR-Series Vaios to Windows 7, but most have used the UPGRADE 32-bit Windows 7 disc which retains all your original software, settings, drivers, utilities and data.  Only two new drivers are necessary for the nVidia Graphics and the Touchpad as most of the original drivers from 32-bit Vista work OK.

By installing a 64-bit system you will have lost all the preinstalled software to play blu-ray and all the drivers and utilities that control the functions you mention.

I am not sure if all the 64-bit drivers you require are actually available but you can look here for some of them.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/os/vista/64bit/

Personally, if it was me, I would recover the Vaio back to factory settings (ie Vista installed) and then use an UPGRADE Disc to install Windows 7 HP 32-bit.  This way you will retain your full functionality and original software.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Viviners
Visitor

Thank you.