Join now - be part of our community!

Is two different Antivirus in one PC causing problems????

Sabi
Visitor

Is two different Antivirus in one PC causing problems????

I have Antivir, Ad-Aware and two Firewalls in my PC.

Every time I turn my computer on, the AntiVir appears automatically for a second or two. It also comes up when there is a virus scanned through Ad-Aware, wanting to know the action for the infected files.

My question is: Can I install "Norton AntiVirus 2005" (which I got from my friend yesterday) [:">] without worrying to clash the two Anti viruses?

Furthermore I want to buy "Panda Antivirus" or "Zone Alarm" but I am worried for the same problem if all Anti viruses appear automatically together and cause chaos :anguished:

Any advice please?
Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Only ever run 1 anti virus program - there's no need for 2, and you're going to cause yourself a lot of bother....

My dad got rid of Norton because someone hacked it on him :slight_frown: a bit like when your auto-protect was off, so I wouldn't bother with it.

Norton Anti Virus is like IE, full of bugs and the target of most virus writers.

The ZoneAlarm security suite looks a good buy, I think Rob and William use it.

robpaxton
Explorer

You should only run one AV and one firewall program - any more any you could cause system conflicts. If you feel the need for AV protection over & above your installed AV program then it's best to use one or two of the web based online scanners.

If you are running P2P applications then most of these are inherently insecure anyway and the best thing to do is back-up your system often.

Spyware/Adware scanners are usually pretty happy to coexist with each other & I run both Adaware & Spybot S&D regularly even though I don't visit dodgy sites or run P2P.

I have stopped using Norton on my PCs and am only running it on the Mac till my subscription runs out.

kee-lo_

Yeah spyware programs can all live together, which is cool:smileyhappy: :wink: :cool:

Sabi
Visitor

Thanks for your advice and prompt reply Kee-lo :slight_smile:
Thanks to you to Rob, :slight_smile:

OK, in that case, I keep the AntiVir for the time being. But do I have to get rid of McAFree firewall too as I already have ¿Windows Firewall¿ :thinking:
And if I get new Anti Virus software, do I have to uninstall the old one first?

By the way how long., one can update AntiVir for? As the download was free to begin with?

Thanks again [:">]
PS: I don¿t know what P2P is!:smileycry:

kee-lo_

I would rather use a commercial firewall than Microsoft's - it's not very powerful, so I turn it off, and use ZoneAlarm.

When you get a new AntiVirus you'll need to uninstall the old ones.

Usually you get 12 months worth of free updates with your antivirus, this is standard, then you'll need to buy an upgrade, or renew the subscription. This not the case with AVG Free (v7).

P2P is peer-to-peer, and is often used for illegal downloads like MP3's and movies, as you can guess a lot of people want it closed down.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

P2P is peer-to-peer, and is often used for illegal downloads like MP3's and movies, as you can guess a lot of people want it closed down.

Not all P2P is used for illegal purposes. I use Skype, a P2P application, which is perfectly legal but I found that ZoneAlarm caused problems with this.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

bout 75% of P2P isn't used legally though....

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

bout 75% of P2P isn't used legally though....

You are probably correct on that:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Shame as P2P a good thing - just look at Skype