Join now - be part of our community!

Is it OK to replace my hard disk drive myself?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Andrea7
Visitor

Is it OK to replace my hard disk drive myself?

I have a Vaio laptop, about 18 months old. Last week, after I knocked it (tripping over the lead) it froze up. I rebooted and got the message 'operating system not found'.

After looking at some answers on this forum (thank you!) I switched it on again and pressed F2 to access the BIOS and it said 'Hard disk: none' I tried this a few times over a few days and it always said the same.

I took the hard drive out and tried it in a hard drive dock, plugged into my old laptop via a USB. It does not detect the hard drive at all. I'm guessing from all this that I damaged the hard drive when I knocked the laptop.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do next please. Are there any drawbacks to me simply buying a replacement hard drive (I can buy the same make and model - a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 on line) and fitting it myself?

The current drive is 320GB but I thought if I'm going to replace it I'd buy a 500GB one (otherwise exactly the same model). I think I've read somewhere that I shouldn't buy bigger than a 500GB for a laptop but would appreciate feedback on that too.

Also, does anyone know the odds of getting the existing hard drive repaired? Recovering the stuff on it is not a major problem as I'd backed up most of my files to an external hard drive (though I'll lose some recent stuff), and I made all the recovery disks when I first got the laptop.

My main concern is more about whether to try to salvage something from the old hard disk or just buy a replacement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andrea7,

Unless you are prepared to pay big bucks to a data recovery company I would forget the old drive as a repair is not economic.

The replacement drive should be two platter Sata 2.5" x 9.5mm high. Max available storage on these was 500 GB but I believe larger storage is now available.

I assume you created your recovery disks as you will need these to reinstall the OS unless you intend to use a retail version of Windows.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andrea7,

Unless you are prepared to pay big bucks to a data recovery company I would forget the old drive as a repair is not economic.

The replacement drive should be two platter Sata 2.5" x 9.5mm high. Max available storage on these was 500 GB but I believe larger storage is now available.

I assume you created your recovery disks as you will need these to reinstall the OS unless you intend to use a retail version of Windows.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
Andrea7
Visitor

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for your advice Rich. I've now bought and installed a new hard drive and was able to reload the operating system etc from my recovery disks so my Vaio is up and running again, good as new. I actually found it really straightforward to do thanks to the advice available on here. Much appreciated.

Andrea

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome Andrea. Pleased to hear that all is now well – time to think about regular backups :wink:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat