Join now - be part of our community!

HELP: MAXTOR diamondmax 10 300GB PATA 133 not recognized

roberto.negro
Visitor

HELP: MAXTOR diamondmax 10 300GB PATA 133 not recognized

All,
I've bought a new maxtor diamondmax 10 300GB PATA 133, I've inserted in my Sony Vaio PCV-RS402, I've connected the power cable and the disk cable, but the BIOS doesn't recognize it.
The only info shown in the BIOS (I've been prompted to press F2 key) is the HDD TYPE: Maxtor Sable, but the size is 0GB.

Is it because it is PATA and not UATA ? Need I to buy a new controller ?

Maybe the disk is not working (But It tries to do something, as it makes strange sounds...) ?

Any ideas ?

Regards,
Roberto.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The following may help:

If you have not previously installed a SATA drive in your system, you must install a Windows driver for your
SATA PCI card or SATA-enabled motherboard or system so that Windows can recognize your new drive.
For maximum compatibility, Maxtor recommends downloading and installing the latest SATA driver from the
website of the SATA card/motherboard/system manufacturer. The latest SATA drivers for Maxtor-branded
SATA cards can be downloaded from the Worldwide Support section at www.maxtor.com.

More detailed information here

EDIT: Sorry just noticed that yours is PATA not SATA :angry:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

I recently put another HDD in my Win 98 machine - being a complete numpty I thought it would simply plug-and-play. I had to format the drive and set physical and logical partitions - all through the boot disk.

I assume you would need to do the same whatever system you use?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yep, you would through the manage tool (right click My Computer).

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

This is not a concrete answer but it may help...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812415