Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI or VGA

profile.country.en_GB.title
mike9586
Visitor

HDMI or VGA

I've just got a new Samsung HDTV that is compatible with up to 1080i through HDMI and 1360x768 through VGA D-Sub.

I was just wondering if it's better to connect my Sony laptop through HDMI or VGA?

6 REPLIES 6
mike9586
Visitor

Anyone?

tonybeard
Explorer

The good news is as far I recall, assuming your TV is HDCP complient, you can connect HD and 5.1 audio in one cable. The bad news is the cable costs big bucks. The cheapest I found was at Maplins 3.5 metre for £52. VGA will not carry the 27MBPS bandwidth required to give you true high definition but the cable is cheap as chips.

kee-lo_

I paid £29.99 for a Belkin in Curry's

julmoore4
Visitor

If you keep an ey on Lidls you can pick up a 2m HDMI cable for as litle as £12.00, and it even has gold connectors!

I have one and its brilliant.

Fairly certain to say that you will get true HD TV only with the correct HD cables, Component would be the next quality cable but you dont have that on a Vaio!! LOL

mike9586
Visitor

I actually bought a couple of HDMI cables, one for my PS3 and one I can use for my laptop, they cost me 98p from Amazon Marketplace and they work a treat.

kee-lo_

If you keep an ey on Lidls you can pick up a 2m HDMI cable for as litle as £12.00, and it even has gold connectors!

I have one and its brilliant.

Thanks for the tip :cool: