Join now - be part of our community!

Are the Firewalls in my computer working?????

Sabi
Visitor

Are the Firewalls in my computer working?????

I have AOL 9 and Window XP . I have downloaded McAFree and Service Pack 2 recently. However at the sign on screen the "Firewall¿ shows ¿not Detected"!:smileyconfused:

Is this something I should be worried about?? I believe the "Windows Firewall" was downloaded through SP2 . I have checked the ¿on" button which was ticked. I also checked the ¿Advance¿ options in there which showed that ¿Aol¿, ¿Aol Diagnostic Test¿ and ¿Local Area connection¿ were all ticked (enabled)

I also looked in Admin Tool ¿ Service and found that both Firewalls are in "automatic" start up and "started" status. However under the "Description" column, McAFree is ¿blank¿ and Windows Firewall is ¿provides n...¿ what ever that means.

All I want to know is; are these Firewalls working, if not what more do I need to do to activate them??:smileyconfused:

Many thanks :slight_smile:

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

That means that your firewalls are operating properly, but says nothing about your anti-virus.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thats a good thing that port 139 doesn;t show up.

Sabi
Visitor

I still don't know if the Antivir is working in my PC or not :slight_frown: !!

May be these Free Antivirus downloads don't work very well, so I might be better off to buy a good Antivirus software soon :angry:
Any ideas what to to buy?

I scanned the PC with Ad-Aware today, during which ¿Antivir¿ popped up! Wanting to know what to do with newly found "Troj. virus¿? I noticed the location was -system volume- or something :thinking:
I clicked on delete, it didn't work, I then sent it to Quarantine which I deleted it after. Now there is no volume in my system!!!!:smileycry: :cry:
Does anyone know how I can get it back?????

Thanks guys

kee-lo_

Sabi,

There's Panda AntiVirus 7 and at £15 it's not a bad piece of software.

Sophos is the best, but the price of it isn't :slight_frown:

Sabi
Visitor

Thanks Kee-lo :slight_smile:

Do you know if ¿Panda Antivirus" is available in the shops?

What about my "volume" do you know how I can get it back?
It is not working when I am on line :slight_frown: I don't hear AOL greeting or anything like that. I have checked the "Sound and Audio Devices Properties", the Sound Scheme window is blank :thinking:
When I drop the menu, there are several Window defaults i.e. Window 3, default 2 etc. :cry:

Thanks again [:">]

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

What about my "volume" do you know how I can get it back? 

It may be worth trying a system restore to a point prior to deleting the quarantined item.

On reflection this may not be such a good idea as you could reload the virus/trojan. Is Device Manager showing up any problems?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

I just run the Symantec check; everything was OK except Antivirus product which came up as ¿at risk¿!!!! 

This normally hapen because you need run the antivirus again, after this, the status from AT Risk will be change to OK.

I got this at my computer with the latest Norton Antivirus.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I think this is a little bit suspect

"Shields UP" find nothing about my Computer (all stealth)

the "symantec check" works only with the IExplorer.

It's useless when I make a security check with the IExplorer if I use normally Firefox.

the "security scan" from Sygate showed that some Ports are closed.
The UDP ports 111, 135, 137, 138 and 139 are open.
No port is stealth!

here is the Link to the Sygate scan:

http://scan.sygate.com/

kee-lo_

Hi Sabi,

Probably from PC World, but they're expensive and I have used Amazon for 5 years now without major problems (they've never ripped me off).

Seb: Good point, Sygate are good though.