Join now - be part of our community!

Are the Firewalls in my computer working?????

Sabi
Visitor

Are the Firewalls in my computer working?????

I have AOL 9 and Window XP . I have downloaded McAFree and Service Pack 2 recently. However at the sign on screen the "Firewall¿ shows ¿not Detected"!:smileyconfused:

Is this something I should be worried about?? I believe the "Windows Firewall" was downloaded through SP2 . I have checked the ¿on" button which was ticked. I also checked the ¿Advance¿ options in there which showed that ¿Aol¿, ¿Aol Diagnostic Test¿ and ¿Local Area connection¿ were all ticked (enabled)

I also looked in Admin Tool ¿ Service and found that both Firewalls are in "automatic" start up and "started" status. However under the "Description" column, McAFree is ¿blank¿ and Windows Firewall is ¿provides n...¿ what ever that means.

All I want to know is; are these Firewalls working, if not what more do I need to do to activate them??:smileyconfused:

Many thanks :slight_smile:

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have no idea on your particular configuration, but Symantec do a free on-line security check which should indicate whether you firewalls are functioning.

Security Check

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

The Windows XP firewall provides only basic protection. You would be better off downloading & installing ZoneAlarm free from www.zonelabs.com

You can test your firewalls security at GRC - select the 'Shields Up' link near the bottom of the page and follow the instructions . . .

Sabi
Visitor

Thanks Rich, thanks Rob;

I am more worried than before!!!:smileyshocked:
I just run the Symantec check; everything was OK except Antivirus product which came up as ¿at risk¿!!!! Apparently I don¿t have any!!! When in fact I know I do because I¿ve downloaded Antivir software a few days ago and caught many viruses with it!

The AOL, sign on screen also shows the Anti-virus software is "Running" !! so what is going on and why Symantec check has failed Antivir in my PC???????????
If their check up is right then I am constantly at risk of getting a virus!! Even coming on this board :anguished:

I have to mention one thing though;. As Norton Antivirus was disabled in my PC, I uninstalled it. After that the Antivir umbrella was off, which I opened it from Service in System tools. Do you think that has anything to do with what is happening?

Please help :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I would take Rob¿s advice and download ZoneAlarm, then run the check again. Best to be safe¿.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There is always the possibility that you already have a virus that is preventing your anti-virus software from loading. To check this out start up in safe mode and carry out a full virus scan.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Cool I passed with flying colours!

* Kee-Lo pats his router

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Kee-Lo pats his router 

Never heard it called that before:smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

:laughing:

Sabi
Visitor

Well I run the check for "File Sharing" and "Common Ports" with "Shields Up" as Rob kindly suggested (thanks Rob :slight_smile: ) it has passed the TruStealth Analysis!

And this is what it says which I need help to understand it :slight_frown:

In the other part it says

The Summary shows:
0 ports open, 0 ports closed, 26 ports Stealth

So does that mean my Firewalls and Antivir are active and working? I am still confused :slight_frown: