Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD-49XF7596 & Retro Consoles

profile.country.GB.title
DRawo1
Explorer

Sony Bravia KD-49XF7596 & Retro Consoles

Hello all.

I’d really appreciate some advice here. In short I’m trying to connect a PlayStation 2 to my TV using a HD Video Converter (YPBPR) to HDMI cable. The HDMI is connected to the back of the TV and in to the PS2 via this converter. 

I’m getting signal on the HDMI channels but there’s an issue with flickering. It’ll display “576i” at the top and will flicker on and off every 3 seconds or so. I’ve read the manual and the TV does support 576i so I’m confused as to why it’s seemingly struggling to keep a signal going.

Any ideas on what settings (if any) I need to alter in order for the TV to run on 576i through HDMI? 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @DRawo1,

may I ask why you are adapting the video output at all? The TV features RCA (yellow, white, red) inputs next to the LAN port.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
DRawo1
Explorer

Hi Nic,

it’s to alter the image clarity of the PS2. Composite (Red, White & Yellow) offer pretty bad viewing. The HDMI converter is just sending it to 576i which the TV seems to be struggling with.

profile.country.GB.title
DRawo1
Explorer

FEA4B9AD-5FC0-48F7-82E3-1B88178A5AF1.jpeg

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @DRawo1,

even with the composite cable you are using (green, red, blue, red, white), the image quality doesn't really increase, it just transmits the three base colors trough seperate lines instead of one.

Via RCA (the default cable) you get the same image quality in 576i. In this case without an adapter which seems to be the cause of the issues you are facing.

For consoles like the PS3 a composite cable made sense, since it supports analog (it is still no digital way of transmitting the signal) video transmission with up to 1080p60Hz, but for the PS2, RCA does not have any difference compared to composite UNLESS your HDMI-adapter-box does some internal upscaling, then it does make a difference, but you could also use a RCA to HDMI upscaler HDMI box in that case.

I still think the issue is neither the PS2 nor the composite cable in itself, but the adapter to HDMI which causes the issues.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
DRawo1
Explorer

Thanks Nic.

So do you think an RCA > HDMI box would be more compatible than the one I’m using? I do think the adapter box I have is doing some sort of upscaling. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @DRawo1,

I doubt the box does upscaling, since component can also deliver HD signals but analog. So at least from my point of view, I doubt the box you currently have (which is on the photo) does upscaling. I could be wrong though.

Maybe this video is of some interest for you, it applies to any 576i signal:

- Nic