Join now - be part of our community!

HDR-CX360VE - Best way to transfer videos and photos?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
benalawrence
New

HDR-CX360VE - Best way to transfer videos and photos?

Hello - I have a Sony HDR-CX360VE - very pleased with it in general.

I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer videos and pictures easily from the camera to my Windows 7 64 bit machine.

What I would like to be able to do is simply move the date stamped folder containing the videos and pictures from the camera to my computer using Windows explorer, using the USB cable.

However the problem with this is that I cannot delete the folder / files from my camera using Windows explorer - I can only copy them - it does not give me the option to delete or move.  This means I then have to go into the camera and delete the folder from there.  This is OK for one folder, but when you have many it is painful.

I can take the memory card that I am using out of the camera and into the computer, but the nice date stamped folder does not appear on the memory card - I only get this view using the USB cable connection and windows explorer.  This way there is just a long list of files.

I cannot get PMB to work so don't know whether this would solve the problem!

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks for any help

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ben :slight_smile:

It does sound a little odd that the files are still 'there but not there'. There may be a small possibility that the memory card has become corrupted in some way and if this is the case, you may have to move everything off of the card and back it up onto your computer. Once you have everything backed up, you could format the memory card and start again from scratch to see if it was corrupt data that was to blame.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ben - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

When you insert the memory card into your PC card reader (or using a USB card reader) the exact same file structure should appear when trying to access the card through 'Computer' / 'My Computer'. If you cannot see the individual folders, it could be something to do with the layout i.e. click on 'Organise' in the top-left corner once you have opened the memory card folder and click 'Folder and Search Options'. In this window, make sure that 'Show All Folders' is ticked on the general tab.

Thanks,

Simon

benalawrence
New

Hi Simon

Thanks very much for the reply - sorry not to get back to you sooner, only just had time to try this out.

Unfortunately this does not work!

I also expected to see exactly the same file structure when I put the memory card into the card reader.  This is not the case, even checking that the file options you mentioned are correct.

I thought I would include some screenshots.

When I access the camera via the USB cable, I get a file structure like this:

Slide1.JPG

As you can see, everything is neatly organised by date, and both images and videos are in the those folders - but I can't delete them.

When I take the memory card out of the camera and put it in the card reader, I see a completely different file structure like this:

Slide2.JPG

And when I work my way through the file structure, I find the images and videos in separate folders, not date organised, like this:

Slide3.JPG

If I delete the video files that have the right date from the list above, and then put the memory card back in the camera, it still thinks the videos are there and shows the thumbnails of them, but then when I go into the video, understandably tells me the file is not there.

Do you think I am doing something wrong, or is this just a limitation?  Thanks for all and any help!

What I would really like to be able to do is simply to access the date organised folders, and copy and then delete them.

Cheers

Ben

Message was edited by: benalawrence

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ben :slight_smile:

It does sound a little odd that the files are still 'there but not there'. There may be a small possibility that the memory card has become corrupted in some way and if this is the case, you may have to move everything off of the card and back it up onto your computer. Once you have everything backed up, you could format the memory card and start again from scratch to see if it was corrupt data that was to blame.

Thanks,

Simon