Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to access BBC iPlayer and My5 programmes

profile.country.GB.title
Wiltshire123
Explorer

Unable to access BBC iPlayer and My5 programmes

I have a Sony Bravia TV purchased from Currys in December 2018. It worked perfectly until a day ago, when for some reason BBCiplayer no longer works - the site can be accessed, but the programmes refuse to load up, with the message "something went wrong loading this programme". There is a similar problem with My5, although unfortunately it doesn't seem to affect the adverts.

This problem seems to have existed in the past with other correspondents, and I have tried all the previous remedies - un-plugging TV, internet, going through the initial set-up and restoring factory settings (twice) - but all to no avail. As there is no problem with the iplayer on our other TV (a Toshiba), the issue must be with the TV.

Why has this problem suddenly arisen, and what is the solution?

9 REPLIES 9
Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Wiltshire123, which TV model have you got? and are you getting any error messages while accessing BBC iPlayer?

profile.country.GB.title
Wiltshire123
Explorer

It is a Bravia KD-43XF7596. I think this model is about 3 year's old.

You can go into BBCiplayer, but when you try and load up a programme, it buffers and then an error message about it being a 'temporary problem' appears.

I have gone back to Sony to say that their prescribed fix - a 9 stage operation involving installing factory settings - does not work, and am now waiting to hear back from them 

profile.country.GB.title
Peter44Flynn
Explorer

I have the same problem on my kd-55a1 TV. Tried everything nothing works. Please let me know if you find a fix. Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Hi,

Can you try to connect the TV to another WIFI network and try again, you can use personal hotspot using your phone.

profile.country.GB.title
Wiltshire123
Explorer

The solution I have come up with, although not perfect does get round the problem.

It appears that the problem is with YouView, which although able to show programmes on ITV Hub and Channel 4 catchup, for some reason has a problem with BBC iplayer and My5. I have consequently downloaded that latter two as separate apps which I can then access through the Home screen of my television, rather than going through YouView. 

profile.country.GB.title
Peter44Flynn
Explorer

Hi it won't let me download iplayer from Google play store it says my device isn't compatible?

profile.country.GB.title
Wiltshire123
Explorer

I was unable to find BBC-iplayer on Google player. So I googled the problem and found a YouTube video from something called free tech. This enabled me to download BBC-iplayer from a different source.

profile.country.GB.title
Peter44Flynn
Explorer

Thanks it works strange why the other pre installed iplayer app stopped working. Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
Wiltshire123
Explorer

I think the problem must be in YouView, so it could be worth following it up with them. But for the moment just appreciating that I have got iplayer back. Glad that you are also sorted.