s2tephen
New

Sony KD55XD9305 TV + Sony HT-RT5 SB Onscreen display

Hi
Using the above
Using HDMI leads capable of passing full 4K
Using HDMI 1 input on soundbar
Using ARC output from soundbar to ARC input on TV

Plug in device capable of output up to 1080 into HDMI 1 Input on SB I get the volume setting onscreen on the TV.
Plug in 4K device into same NO volume onscreen setting on the TV. (Have tried several 4k devices.)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@s2tephen wrote:

Hi
Using the above
Using HDMI leads capable of passing full 4K
Using HDMI 1 input on soundbar
Using ARC output from soundbar to ARC input on TV

Plug in device capable of output up to 1080 into HDMI 1 Input on SB I get the volume setting onscreen on the TV.
Plug in 4K device into same NO volume onscreen setting on the TV. (Have tried several 4k devices.)

You have the ARC (or possibly just your description of it) backwards,

Its purpose is to get sound from the TV to the soundbar, not the other way round.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

His setup is correct. HDMI arc out on Sound bar to HDMI arc on TV. There are 3 HDMI inputs on Sound bar, HDMI 1 supports 4k passthrough hdcp 2.2 

I own the Same Soundbar and wireless rear speakers. 

I will hook up a 4k source to my HT-RT5 tomorrow to test the problem, see if I can replicate it. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@xx4L0Mxx wrote:

His setup is correct. HDMI arc out on Sound bar to HDMI arc on TV. There are 3 HDMI inputs on Sound bar, HDMI 1 supports 4k passthrough hdcp 2.2 

I own the Same Soundbar and wireless rear speakers. 

I will hook up a 4k source to my HT-RT5 tomorrow to test the problem, see if I can replicate it. 

OK, so three HDMI inputs, and one HDMI output on the soundbar? And the soundbar supports ARC, so you have to connect it to an input HDMI on the TV that also supports ARC?

The confusion arises, then, in the terminology, because ARC (Audio Return Channel) goes in the opposite direction - the HDMI In on the TV is the ARC Out, and the HDMI Out on the soundbar is the ARC in.

it does at least sound like we are all talking about the same thing, connected the right way round, though 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking