Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 55XD9305BU and CT-380 SoundBar volume not the same

profile.country.GB.title
sharpharp

Sony 55XD9305BU and CT-380 SoundBar volume not the same

Hi,

I have the CT-380 Soundbar connected to a Sony 55XD9305BU TV via the HDMI ARC connection from the TV to the Soundbar, but the volume on the soundbar is too low compared to the TV Speakers.

For instance, if using the TV speakers alone, they are quite loud on 15

If I use the Soundbar alone, it seems to be using its own volume number independent of the TV. I am using the TV remote to control the Soundbar Volume.

So for example, when using the Soundbar (instead of the TV Speakers) i use the TV remote and set the TV volume to 15, the Soundbar volume displays 5, so the soundbar Volume is low.

Any way to make it so the TV volume displayed on the TV screen is the same on the Soundbar? It's like the Soundbar volume is 10 volume increments lower...

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You should check better which number you read on the TV and the soundbar.... TV volume scale is 1 to 100 and soundbar should be 1 to 50 so whichever volume level you set on the TV the sounbar is exactly half the value (i.e 30 on the TV is 15 on the soundbar). It is normal and doesn't mean that the volume on the soundbar is lowered. 15 on the tv should not be that loud since it is 15% of the volume power.......

profile.country.GB.title
sharpharp

Yes i'm aware of the TV 1-100 and Soundbar 1-50...

If you read my Question again, you will see that in my situation, the Soundbar is NOT HALF the TV Volume, it is exactly "10" behind....

If TV is 15, Soundbar is 5

If TV is 30, Soundbar is 20

So i am asking why it is 10 behind? Shouldn't it be half the TV displayed volume????

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry I didn't get it right... And if you try to have the volume on the TV over 60 (if your neighbour do not kill you....) what happen on the bar?

It seems like they are not really in sync, try reenabling bravia sync on the TV and/or adjust some setting on the bar (sound mode i.e.) using the setting in the TV menu for your bar...

profile.country.GB.title
sharpharp

Haven't really played with Bravia Sync, do you have a step by step on how to do this?

Should the Bravia sync pair up the volume?

I've tried the different Sound mode, but that doens't alter the fact that the Soundbar is 10 below the TV volume setting.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The tutorial that are online on the community about bravia sync are quite old and are not adapted to Android TV setting. In any case you should find it under home-->settings-->external input-->Bravia sync settings

In the device list there should already enlisted your Home Theatre (since it is Bravia sync the make possible for you to control volume via the TV remote). There should be an option to force enable Bravia sync on all the devices and pressing it you should see also a message on the soundbar that confirm the activation.

I do not ask you to play with sound mode directly on the soundbar, but accessing the setting via the TV home-->settings-->sound--> Home Theatre Control that should be enabled with your HTCT380 settings if everything is configured: just to check that the remote control is working fine.

If everything is right and still there is a difference, try from the beginning: disconnecting the HDMI lead, enlist the device under bravia sync menu (there should be no more the soundbar and every device connected to it). Then plug it back and check again enabling the sync once more.

profile.country.GB.title
sharpharp

Hi rooobb,

Tried resetting everything last night and now the Soundbar is half the TV Volume, so thanks.

However the sound is still very low, compared to the TV speakers. For instance, the sound on the Sky Box (is low volume), Virgin Box (is high) DVD (is high). Is there a way of boosting the Sound on HDMI 1 for example where the Sky Box is?

Also, I am very dissappointed in the sound quality of the Sony CT-480 Soundbar. When the soundbar is setup using HDMI ARC (so i can use the TV remote to control the sub volume) the Sound is Dull, lifeless and doesnt project well at all. In comparison, the built-in TV Speakers are way way better and have a great surround sound effect and the sound travels well.... £200 for a CT-380 seems a complete and utter waste of money.

Is there any way I can set the TV up to use both the TV Speakers and Soundbar/Sub and still be able to use the Tv Remote to control the Volume for both TV and Soundbar???

I'm happy with the picture quality on the TV, but the Sound via Soundbar is really poor.

Regards,

P.S. My setup is Sky Box, Virgin Box, DVD into the back of TV via quality HDMI Cables. Then one HDMI cable via TV HDMI ARC to Soundbar HDMI ARC.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I think the problem with skybox audio is more related to sky itself, try changing the audio track (if available) especially when it is Dolby I read about several people having a lower sound from it. Not a big issue but you have to higher the volume level to get it well.

Regarding the general audio issue I can give you only my experience with a different soundbar (HTCT350): you have to play a little with the sound settings. The best sound field with my soundbar is the movie one, for which i put some more level on the sub (+2 if I remember right) and some more also on the central speaker to have better voice (my soundbar is 3+1 I don't remember if yours is 2.1 or 3.1).

I can assure that mine setup has a great value over the TV speaker (a 42W805A before and later a 43W805C) even if of course is not a true surround system

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

BTW is generally better that you plug your device into the soundbar HDMI input rather than TV so you let the soundbar itself do all the job with the audio rather than passing through the TV....

profile.country.GB.title
sharpharp

Thanks so far with your suggestions, much appreciated...

On the question of plugging the devices (sky box, virgin box and dvd directly into the Soundbar and then one HDMI cable to TV via ARC, how does the TV switch between the devices if the devices are all connected to the Soundbar and not directly to the seperate HDMIs on the TV itself?

I have the TV setup so that anyone using it can flick between the Sky/Virgin Boxes by pressing the Top left button (inputs) on the TV Remote.

Can you explain what happens if the Devices are connected to the Soundbar, then back to the TV via 1 single ARC HDMI???? Can i still just use the TV remote to flick across devices, or would i now need to use the Soundbar Remote as well?

I'm trying to eliminate the number of remote controls in use and achieve best Sound setup using the TV remote only.