Join now - be part of our community!

OLED KD65AG9 Software Update Issues

profile.country.GB.title
Paul-Dom
Explorer

OLED KD65AG9 Software Update Issues

Late last week my KD 65AG9 had a software update, after this some of the functions ceased to work properly, I powered down the TV and left for a minute and then restarted it. This cleared most of the problems except for the access to TV text via the BBC channels. This does not function and I have checked using another TV and all is fine with the service. The text button and the 4 colour buttons associated with the text button on the remote control do not work. Is there a software issue with the latest update or is there a fault on my TV since the update on Friday? The TV is 11 months old and this is very concerning for such a quality TV to have such an issue. Can anyone help me?

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

I will wait for Sony to reply before sending that link.

Surely Sony can't be so stupid as to not realise that the BBC withdrew their plans to end the text service. It was announced quite some time ago.

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Thanks and especially you Dogman.

I too will contact the BBC and see if we can apply pressure from that side as well.

I said before that I had put in a complaint to Sony via the Resolver websit and Sony have finall got back to me which I have still to reply back to them but just for your information sake this is the nonsense which I got back from them.

Dear Mr. McMillan,

I am writing on behalf of Mr de Pauw and the Sony Management, from our Consumer Relations Office, the highest service level we can offer for Customer complaints and disputes. We are sorry to learn about the issues you are now experiencing.

First of all, regarding the issue with the BBC teletext function, we must inform you that this service was terminated as agreed with the broadcaster and therefore, it will not be possible to continue using it. Nevertheless, please find the information on how to continue using similar functions with the “Red button” or “Red button Plus” function in the link below:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00257438

Regarding the delay issue with the soundbar, we can see from your previous case about this issue that you already tried different HDMI cables and by resetting both the television and the soundbar. You also updated your television to the last software version available, but unfortunately none of these steps fixed the issue.

In order to assist you further with this query, and since I couldn´t find this information in your previous case, please kindly confirm if this happens only with the ARC connection, or if it happens using any of the HDMI ports. Also, we would like to confirm if this issue persists if you use an optical cable to connect the soundbar to the Television instead of a HDMI cable. We couldn´t see this was advised to you in your previous case.

Finally, regarding the EPG issue, can you please confirm when this started? We can´t see this issue reported in your previous cases, so we assume it started some time after the second half of January, when you first contacted us. You never received any notifications of message about this? Please kindly send us a picture of this issue so we can determine what happened.

Please kindly reply with the requested information so we can assist you further. If you have any doubts or questions, please do not hesitate to include them in your reply.

Best regards,

Sebastian

SONY CONSUMER RELATIONS
SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

Sony have replied after I sent them a copy of the response from the BBC.

They advised me to send the BBC to this link (as was posted here earlier).

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-oled-tvs-android-/kd-65ag9/article...

This is just going round in circles. I just hope that the BBC can  sort this out with Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi folks

Just a quick update, I have now like Dogman contacted BBC and logged a call with them and have had the following reply from them as well as a case number.

Hello Peter

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are currently investigating this issue.

Best wishes and stay safe,

Gareth Franklin

BBC Audience Services

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi,

I also mentioned to copy you folks into my reply to Sony via my Resolver case number that I reported earlier.

Dear Sebastian,

I am sorry but what you have told me is wrong, within the thread on the Sony Community page where myself and other customers are experiencing this issue one of the other customers contacted the BBC and got this reply.

“ That is not correct. The BBC reversed their decision to axe the text service quite some time ago due to opposition from the public. The service will be reduced over time though, but it will retain some important parts.

I have now had a response from the BBC.
>>>
Thank you for contacting BBC Reception Advice.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been unable to access the text service on your Sony TV.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Steve. I can see how frustrating it must be for you as you use the service a lot and rely on it for your news, sport and weather.

We raised this with the relevant department for investigation. They have asked us to find out from you what Sony advised when you spoke to them, and whether they gave you any details about the software update at all? It would also be useful to know if they gave an indication as to why they believe the issue lies with the BBC.

It would be really useful if you could get back in touch with us using the return link below to let us know what further details Sony gave you regarding this. We will be happy to investigate further on your behalf once we know this.

Thank you so much for your patience and cooperation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,”

As far as the EPG issues concerned all issues have happened since your software update on or about the 15th Jan 2021 that was version PKG6.4960.0628EUA after this was installed the EPG changed we can now longer go back up to 7 days and launch catch-up tv directly from the EPG , basically Sony’s update has changed the user experience that caused us to buy the TV in the first place and made it worse, if the now current user interface was there when we were buying the TV we would not have purchased it. We have subsequently installed another software update that your Support team recommended (PKG 6.5016xxxx) but has not fixed anything.
We have two other TVs in the house in other rooms a Panasonic and a Samsung both of which are displaying teletext with no issues, we have in the past purchased numerous Sony products but this experience means we will not be buying Sony in the future, your companies response to this issue has been woeful.

I have spent the last 35+ years in IT support from hardware, software and O/S support and subsequently as a Senior Support Manager and this experience with your company is one of the worst I have experienced.

Regards,

Peter McMillan

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi,

An update from my complaint to Sony via Resolver 

Dear Mr. McMillan,

Thank you for your Email.

I´ve passed the information to our technical team and I am waiting for some more feedback.

Please allow me to contact you in the upcoming days once I receive more information regarding this.

Best regards,

Sebastian

SONY CONSUMER RELATIONS
SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

Sony Europe B.V.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW, United Kingdom
Registered company number: 71682147

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi Folks,

Just had the below reply from Sony via Resolver but the upshot is that you can get Teletext but you have to disconnect your TV from the internet first and all TVs from 2020 on will not have a Teletext button on the remote controls and this is supposed to be in agreement with the BBC.

There is also another Software update that has been released which is supposed to fix a number of things in clouding the program guide (yeah we’ll see) there are two links on the reply below so feel free to have a look at them.

As far as I am concerned they have taken functionality away from the TV I bought without consent, if new TVs do not have Teletext then fine you would be making that choice not to have it but to have it then for then to take it away is wrong.

Anyway here is their reply 

Dear Mr. McMillan,

I hope my Email finds you well.

Regarding your case, please note that according to the article we sent you the Teletext key should work when the television is not connected to the Internet. Have you tried this before? Please kindly let us know if this improves the situation, please find the complete article in the following link:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xg8796/artic...

Please note that a new software version for your television has been released today. It is most probably not yet installed in your television, as it might not detect it automatically, but please find the new software version and the instructions on how to download and install it in the link below:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg85xx_x85xxg_u8g-series-55-65-75-85-/kd-...

We hope this information will assist with your query, if you have any other doubts or questions please kindly include them in your reply.

Best regards,

Sebastian

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

I have already tried removing the Ethernet connection but still no text service.

My television though purchased in February 2020 is a 2019 model, so why has the text service been removed from my television? I did ask Sony this, but they just continue to tell me that 2020 TV's and onwards have had the text service taken away. They ignore the fact that mine is a 2019 model.

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

I forgot to mention that I sent Sony the questions asked by the BBC, and they have ignored me.

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi dog-man,

After unplugging the internet I then turned the TV off and back on then I got Teletext but lost it again when I plugged the Network cable back in so try unplugging the network again the turn the TV off and back on and see if that works.