Join now - be part of our community!

OLED KD65AG9 Software Update Issues

profile.country.GB.title
Paul-Dom
Explorer

OLED KD65AG9 Software Update Issues

Late last week my KD 65AG9 had a software update, after this some of the functions ceased to work properly, I powered down the TV and left for a minute and then restarted it. This cleared most of the problems except for the access to TV text via the BBC channels. This does not function and I have checked using another TV and all is fine with the service. The text button and the 4 colour buttons associated with the text button on the remote control do not work. Is there a software issue with the latest update or is there a fault on my TV since the update on Friday? The TV is 11 months old and this is very concerning for such a quality TV to have such an issue. Can anyone help me?

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

I have now raised a ticket with Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

I just got an answer from Sony Support, and it is an incredibly stupid and unbelievable response.

>>>>Thank you for contacting Sony support.

We are sorry to learn that your Sony TV has an issue with teletext on BBC.

In reference to your enquiry about your Sony KD-65AG9, please be noted that BBC reverses the decision to end Red Button text services:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54360998

Please check article to Contact the BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/476

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely, <<<<

I have replied to them.

I am not very happy about this. I thought Sony was a good make and produce reliable products hence the high cost of their products compared to other makers of similar products.

Clearly, I was wrong and mad a big mistake buying Sony. It won't happen again.

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

I will give them till Tuesday afternoon to give me a proper intelligent reply and if I don't get one, I will be submitting a request for a repair under warrantee. It is still covered.

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

Has anyone with this issue had any sensible and useful replies from Sony yet?

I have to say that so far, I am totally not impressed with Sony customer services.

profile.country.GB.title
Peterm1326

Hi Dog-man

No to date I have not seen a sensible or even useful reply to this issue. 
I have raised a complaint via the website Resolver that I have used before successfully but to date I have not had a reply from that either.

I contacted support last week via their Chat app to progress my calls and was told that it had been escalated to their engineering department and to expect an update in 5 working days that was on Friday.

I will be chasing them again tomorrow, I also have the email address of Sony Europe CEO who I will try emailing a complaint to but don’t expect it to get through to him.

Maybe we need to all get together and do a joint complaint in.

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

My issues at the moment are, no text service on BBC channels, the EPG keeps switching from Youview to Freeview and the television seems sluggish and takes longer to obey a command from the remote. It takes longer to change channels or inputs. I wouldn't be surprised if I am missing other issues.

This new software seems to have taken things backwards rather than improving things.

I had ordered another Sony television, but luckily for me, it was not in stock and I had to wait for new stock. I have now cancelled that order just in case that Sony television ends up with the same problems.

My television is still under warranty, luckily till late February I think.

profile.country.GB.title
jonesey55

This is where I am, and how I got here.

I have a KD-55XG8796. It appears to be running the same software series as the KD65AG9.

Here is a summary of the steps I have taken since the initial software update problems.  To give credit where credit is due, SONY has provided a lot of this guidance.

(1) I updated the software to Version 6.5015

(2) I tried a full factory reset but it didn’t solve the problems. You might want to try skipping this step.

(3) I cleared the cached data for TV using the following steps:

Home - Settings - Device Preferences - Storage - Internal shared storage - Cached data - Clear Cached data.

(4) I cleared the cached data from YouView using the following 3 steps: 

Home - Settings - Apps - Youview - Clear data - Clear Cache - Force stop. 

(5) I did a Soft reset to the TV: 

Home and then press and hold the Power on/off button on the remote control for 5 seconds. 

This has resolved the red and green button problems, but the Teletext service still does not work.  Reported this to Sony, and still awaiting feedback (Now overdue)

With regard to the EPG, it is important to note that the set up with regard to YouView is different to what it was previously.  There are now two input options (a) Live TV and Catch Up and (b) Digital

If you use (a) you will get the You-View EPG with the ability to play catch-up TV directly from the guide.

If you use (b) you will get the FreeView EPG without any catchup capability.

Pressing the Input selector button on the remote control gives you the option to select either of these.

Pressing the TV button on the remote control will select one or the other of these, so you need to decide what option you want the TV button to activate - basically chosing between YouView or FreeView.

You need to select the desired option in settings as follows:

Home - Settings - Watching TV - TV Button Shortcut

You then select “Digital - Live TV & Catchup” or “Digital” 

I also was puzzled by what appeared to be random changing between YouView and FreeView EPGs, but once I understood the two input options, and set the TV button to my preference, this is now fairly easy to work with.

So, after much pain and experimentation, I now have a TV that is working properly, except for the Teletext function, which Sony has yet to come back on.  

(incidentally, my other Sony TV, a KD-49XG8096, also went through a software update in the past 7 days.  There were no problems with that one, but it has different software.  On this version of the software, the inputs remain as they were, with one Digital input option and the YouView EPG.  The coloured buttons work, as does teletext.)

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

I have pretty much done all of that. It seems that no matter whether I select option A or B I still get switching from Freeview to Youview, although this seems to be happening less often. Perhaps it will stop happening.

I have been told today by Sony support that a decision was made to remove ALL BBC text services from Sony devices as from November (20th I think) 2020. I am trying to get them to understand that the loss of the text service only happened after the software update several days ago, but they seem to have difficulty in understanding that. I really feel like I am banging my head on a wall. I rely on the digital text service for my news, sport and weather info. I am very hard of hearing and subtitles on live television is an absolute waste of time as much of it makes no sense.

I would not have purchased Sony if I had known that they were going to remove the BBC text service.

profile.country.GB.title
dog-man

Forgot to mention that when I press the power off / on button on my remote for 5 seconds and much longer, nothing happens.

profile.country.GB.title
Marty.S

I have KD55XG9505. This works for me, Press Home and from the Home screen then press power off for a few seconds and mine then shows the option to restart the TV.