Join now - be part of our community!

Info banner keeps popping

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
lollypop11

Info banner keeps popping

Hi,

I have just bought a new sony tv 49XE9005. I have connected apple tv 4 using a hdmi cable.

I am playing a movie on apple tv using an app called "infuse player". Each time I start or stop a movie or rewind/forward, i see an info banner popping up on the top of the screen showing hdmi 2.

I understand that this banner shows each time you change a source but how come it is showing every single time I play a movie or stop or rewind or forward? Is there no way disable this?

I have checked the software version; it says up to date. I have also checked that the tv is not in retail mode. I have also reset the tv but still this banner keeps popping up.

Any help please?

53 REPLIES 53
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

You can try with Sony but I don't think this is covered by the warranty. Give it a go and let us know the outcome.

profile.country.GB.title
Ratsea34
Explorer

Any more progress here, I have a 49XG9005, and the pop up is still a problem.

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
jonH68
Explorer

No progress other than the occasional “our engineers are working on it”! 

Considering the problem was 100% caused by Sony themselves I find it appalling nothing has been done to address the issue - my gut feel is it will probably never be fixed.

I have had to resort to putting my Denon AVR back in its box to hopefully use again when I get a decent TV that works - just as the KG49-XG9095 used to. It remains to be seen what manufacturer that TV is from.

I will be calling the Sony Centre I purchased from next week to claim under the 5 year warranty - pretty sad for a set less than 6 months old.

profile.country.GB.title
Ratsea34
Explorer

I thought I would push Sony support as well so sent them an email. I got a fairly prompt personal reply with the standard set of suggestions, including (in RED):

4.Make sure that the external devices are ususally connected directly to the TV.
To which I replied:
I have a Humax  recorder and a Yamaha AV receiver. The instruction say to connect the Humax to the AVR input and then the AVR out to the TV HDMI/ARC 3 input port.   This is the set up that creates the Banner issue. It randomly occurs whilst watching anything from the Humax either received programmes or recorded ones. We have got used to this setup and tend to watch TV this way unless we want a Streamed broadcast.
However, experimenting with the inputs, I have found that if I connect the Humax directly to the TV through HDMI4 and use an Optical return cable to the AVR into AV4, the banner only seems to appear when changing thing rather than randomly. This is a significant improvement. However, we lose some of the control functionality, and some sound options too.

And now a reply from them:

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-49XG9005, please be advised that connecting the external devices directly to the TV is one of the workarounds that help in resolving the matter.

In case this is new advice, I thought I would share it. I does stop the banner, which is a big step forward.

profile.country.IT.title
eMox83
Explorer

Hi Ratsea34,

yes I'm sure that what you say is a workaround, in fact I think it's obvious at this point that the problem is precisely between Sony Android TVs and the AV Receivers.

As I reported above, my soundbar has a "home screen" where I can change some settings, that I can see only by connecting a TV, and the issue is present also in this case (where I'm not transmitting any content from external source, just browsing the soundbar software).

So it's clear that if you have the configuration:

source > tv > receiver

the issue is not present, because the issue is when on:

receiver > tv

or

source > receiver > tv

Hope this helps to clarify (to you and to Sony) :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Ratsea34
Explorer

Hi eMox83,

Thanks for that clarification. If I want to change the settings on the receiver, then I still have the same banner issue

Receiver > TV and this can be either HDMI3/ARC or any other HDMI port it seems.

Lets hope for a Sony solution soon.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
EUSupport_EN
Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately, this issue is still under investigation, we'll be sharing more information soon.

Thanks

profile.country.FI.title
ghosts82
New

So this is far from solved! Please op or moderator change the "solved" green text

The "solution" does not work with the new Android version. Please Sony fix this. The televison is useless for me if you dont fix this!!!

It is amazing that this prize range tv can have this kind of know issues, and Sony just wont fix them.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi ghosts82, which model do you have? The solution works on most models.

profile.country.GB.title
Ratsea34
Explorer

I have the KD49XG9005, and it doesn't have the menu option to turn the banner off. It was never a problem till the last software update in December 2020.