Join now - be part of our community!

Infinite initial setup loop

SOLVED
aoriol

Infinite initial setup loop

Hello,

My 4K Sony (model KD-55X8005C) is stuck on the initial setup screen and goes back to the Welcome (the screen where you're asked to pick a language) screen in an infinite loop after choosing any of the two options on the Location (the screen where it asks you whether you want to share the location with Google) screen after I did a settings reset.

I've googled this issue and found many people who have experienced the same exact issue (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9JFNk_ju0 & https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/Stuck-with-initial-setup-screens-on-my-Sony-Bravia-4k-A... & https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/45sw8t/sony_android_tv_saferecovery_mode/).

I have tried factory resetting the device (holding down the power button on the TV together with the up arrow on the remote control), installing a fresh firmware via a USB drive (it told me the firmware is already up to date and I couldn't find a way to force it to continue) but nothing seemed to work!

Is there a solution to this bug?

97 REPLIES 97
aoriol

@MiCal1967, I did use it both before and after, why?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Did you logout your account before packaging your TV set?

I start to believe that since Netflix is an embedded SYSTEM app, there is something wrong with Proxy/DNS from UK. There are crazy issues with Netflix. This is some kind of owner of our SONY TVs

aoriol

@MiCal1967, I did not logout. I have just changed the Netflix password to see if it changes anything, but it didn't help unfortunately 😞

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

You can logout all your registered devices and call them to check if a device seems to continue being logged-in

aoriol

Ok, so I've tried two more things. I've deleted my Google account altogether in the hopes to un-login the TV, but it still logs itself in even if the account doesn't exist...

Second, I've set up the router to run through a British VPN to have a UK IP and connected the TV (both safe mode and not) to it. Needless to say, this didn't work either.

I guess I will stay far away from Sony products from now on... pity, I've been a loyal customer for decades!

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

When my machine got starting problems I couldn't delete my Google account either. The factory reset didn't work.

I never ever used Netflix but had done a lot of sideloading apps.

The problem is a corrupted cache. The solution is  a cache wipe. To do that you need to be in the bootloader at the fastboot screen.

@Anonymous Can you pleaase ask your pals at Sony how to get to the bootloader screen without using the Android Debug Bridge. If you don't want everyone playing with the bootloader  a private message would be good.

aoriol

@angelacr, thanks, accessing the bootloader screen (or unlocking it, as possible for Xperia devices) without using the Android Debug Bridge would be absolutely magical. @Anonymous, fingers crossed for a solution! 😞

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@aoriolThe chipset on Sony TVs is MediaTek. A quick search for 'boot bricked mediatek | MTK'  revealed much useful stuff that may be worth exploring. I've always used Qualcomm, except for a couple of weeks with an Umi Super so am a bit adrift with MTK's peculiarities.

[Edit] Notably, SP Flash Tools is a windows program that supposedly boots without using adb. Could be the holy grail?

aoriol

@angelacr you have no idea how grateful I am for all the time and effort you invest in this - THANK YOU! It looks like SP Flash Tools is designed specifically for Android smartphones and I would need an Android TV scatter file which looks impossible to source without adb. Still researching this avenue...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aoriol @angelacr

Ill see what I can do.  Personally i dont hold much hope - they (japan) have been really secretive on stuff like this to be frank.