Join now - be part of our community!

Infinite initial setup loop

SOLVED
aoriol

Infinite initial setup loop

Hello,

My 4K Sony (model KD-55X8005C) is stuck on the initial setup screen and goes back to the Welcome (the screen where you're asked to pick a language) screen in an infinite loop after choosing any of the two options on the Location (the screen where it asks you whether you want to share the location with Google) screen after I did a settings reset.

I've googled this issue and found many people who have experienced the same exact issue (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9JFNk_ju0 & https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/Stuck-with-initial-setup-screens-on-my-Sony-Bravia-4k-A... & https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/45sw8t/sony_android_tv_saferecovery_mode/).

I have tried factory resetting the device (holding down the power button on the TV together with the up arrow on the remote control), installing a fresh firmware via a USB drive (it told me the firmware is already up to date and I couldn't find a way to force it to continue) but nothing seemed to work!

Is there a solution to this bug?

97 REPLIES 97
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

If apps are running OK in background, then your wired network must be OK too for ADB commands.

aoriol

Paging @angelacr, @cozzykim@Kevin8098, perhaps you guys can help me out with some advice? 😞

Long story short, the TV entered a boot loop similar to this after a factory reset. One caveat is that I purchased the set in the UK and did the reset in a different country...

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-player/general/sony-android-tv-users-t3096901/page13 see posts by croques. You will need to have enabled adb previously. Note the advice about the USB cable it will only work with the cable described.

aoriol

@angelacr, thanks for the reply. I remember having the developer mode on, however I don't remember switching the ADB debugging option on unfortunately. I tried connecting via a male to male USB but failed - the adb devices list is empty 😞

@pikachu2, if ADB debugging is off, does it mean I'm f-ed? Would a new firmware version (whenever it comes out) solve the issue?

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

I can't stress enough how important it is to have the right USB cable!  Male to male, yes of course, but it MUST be straight through rather than cross-over or even just a power cable. It needs 4 wires. You need to check with a continuity meter that the pinouts on the connectors correspond. Search for a USB pinout diagram and double check that data + is connected to data + and that data - is connected to data -.

I cannot belieive that Sony would leave a their TVs unbootable to the bootloader. On an android phone we usually hold a key combo from the phone off condition. Usually power and volume down - held until the phone boots. 

But if all else fails yu need a visit from the Sony repair man.

aoriol

@angelacr I'm pretty sure the USB cable is good. Will try another one shortly.

> I cannot belieive that Sony would leave a their TVs unbootable to the bootloader.

Same here - super disappointed 😞 I hope the key combo is out there, it's just that it's not public. Perhaps someone from Sony could help me out?

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@aoriol

You really need to be sure. A straight through cable is very unusual; typically used on USB hard drives. Best put a meter on it to check or if all else fails and you don't fancy a trip to the computer shop, use lash-up of a battery, wires and a torch bulb. When you know the cable is good,, only then can you have a definitive answer. 

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@angelacr @aoriol

The best way to check if cable is OK, is to test on another Android device. You can use the micro USB to USB Female OTG, that is usually provided with phones or tablets, in combination with your Male to Male USB.

Try another Android device with Developer Option Enabled to be 100% sure.

Did you also try with a Windows PC ?

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@MiCal1967

Useful contribution.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@aoriol

Did you use Netflix before leaving U.K. ?