Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI ARC Issue on KD-49X8005C using JBL SB350 Sound Bar

gr0ber00
New

HDMI ARC Issue on KD-49X8005C using JBL SB350 Sound Bar

Hi everyone,

I have a Sony KD-49X8005C 4K TV and have just bought a JBL SB350 soundbar with the intention of connecting it via HDMI and making use of the ARC feature to control the volume, on/off with the one remote control.

I've got it working eventually .. the TV has ARC on HDMI port 4 .. it wasn't clear that I would have to switch to this input to get it connected.. it works well and sounds great.

However when I switch the TV off and back on again the connection is not remembered and I have to switch back to HDMI4 to restore the connection before continuing. This is not ideal.. surely if HDMI4 is the ARC connection it should remeber the audio connection without having to "refresh" it manually.

I thought I had read somewhere that the HDMI and Optical connections should be used together in some circumstances .. I havent tried this but is there any scenario that this would work?

Any comments appreciated

Thanks

Craig

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Instead of switching to the HDMI Port, set the TV to output audio via 'audio system' instead of 'TV Speakers'.  

Also, ensure that Bravia Sync is activated on the TV.

Cheers

gr0ber00
New

Hi thanks for your response.. 

I had the to set tv Audio System, it changes itself back to TV speakers though if I switch it on and don't go to HDMI4 in around 30-40 seconds.

Bravia Sync is activated but I'm not sure if my audio system is a bravia sync device.. It does support ARC though which I understand is a separate standard.

The issue seems to be the tv forgets to output audio on HDMI4 after going into stand by.

Any further suggestions welcome 

thanks

Craig

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

First initial thoughts is that the HDMI cable you are using is not compliant with the HDMI1.4 standard (which includes wiring of the pins for ARC use).  So i checked your manual, presuming that you are using the supplied HDMI cable - it says its ARC compliant.

However i did find this :

_20160413_225215.JPG

Your TV definately complies with the ARC standard and the HPD protocol, which basically is Pin 19 on the HDMI cable/port.  I am wondering if this is deactivated on your speakers?  Try pressing the buttons on the front of the soundbar as suggested above.

However, if that doesnt work, I would honestly change the HDMI cable, in case it is faulty.  Ensure you get adecent one, complying with at least the 1.4 standard.  I use these ones HERE, they are great at a reasonable cost too.

Cheers