Join now - be part of our community!

Disable volume message when using a soundbar

josethegunner
Explorer

Disable volume message when using a soundbar

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Sony KD55-XD8599 tv and have setup the Sonos Playbar and 2 Play:1 speakers to provide the surround sone. Everything is working perfectly except for the annoying out of sync volume message which still shows up on the tv.

I have heard you can disable this on the tv. Can you please let me know how?

Thanks in advance,

Jose

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@josethegunner wrote:

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Sony KD55-XD8599 tv and have setup the Sonos Playbar and 2 Play:1 speakers to provide the surround sone. Everything is working perfectly except for the annoying out of sync volume message which still shows up on the tv.

I have heard you can disable this on the tv. Can you please let me know how?

Thanks in advance,

Jose

@josethegunner

There's a page here that talks about what seems like a very similar issue to yours, on Samsung TVs, though I find the advice given rather incomprehensible - what have Sky and Virgin got to do with a TV/Sonos issue?

But it might indicate that the fix needs to be applied at the Sonos end, not the Sony end,

Maybe if you adapt the advice and pair the Sony remote with the Sonos this will fix things for you?

Failing that, can you please post a screenshot of the message you are getting?

i have to say that I looked at the Sonos, and though the sound can be very good, the need to use optical rather than the much more satisfactory HDMI ARC my eventual choice, the Yamaha YSP-2500, offers, was a deal-breaker for me.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
josethegunner
Explorer

@royabrown

Hi,

I had a read through that page however I am not sure it solves the issue. I currently have Sky and have set this up so that it can control the sound on my Sonos too. At the moment I can control the volume on both my Sky control and my Sony tv control.

When I use my Sky control and change the volume nothing is displayed on my tv.

When I use my Sony tv remote and change the volume the notification pops up on the screen. I have spoken to Sonos and they have said that the tv provider should be able to provide functionality for us to disable the volume message which comes up so that when the volume is changed it is changed on the Sonos but we get no notification on the TV.

Not sure this exists in the existing software but might get in touch with Sony to see if it is something they could add in to a future software upgrade.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As the Sonos Playbar is connected to the TV via optical cable, you cannot use the TV remote control to control the volume of the Playbar.  Doing so would require the use of the HDMI-CEC features of the HDMI cable link.

As you have mentioned using the Sky Remote control and nothing is displayed on the screen when you press the volume button on the Sky Remote control - Can I assume that the volume does change, because in your first post you mention everything works ok.  If this is the case, then the volume indicator on the TV will not display, simply because as I mentioned above, the playbar is connected via optical.

So basically, if the volume changes (even if it doesnt display on screen), everything is working as it should.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

As the Sonos Playbar is connected to the TV via optical cable, you cannot use the TV remote control to control the volume of the Playbar.  Doing so would require the use of the HDMI-CEC features of the HDMI cable link.

As you have mentioned using the Sky Remote control and nothing is displayed on the screen when you press the volume button on the Sky Remote control - Can I assume that the volume does change, because in your first post you mention everything works ok.  If this is the case, then the volume indicator on the TV will not display, simply because as I mentioned above, the playbar is connected via optical.

So basically, if the volume changes (even if it doesnt display on screen), everything is working as it should.

Cheers

Sorry, @Anonymous, but this isn't quite correct.

By pointing the Sony remote at the Sonos in pairing mode and pressing the volume up/down, the Sonos will learn the remote codes the Sony uses, and will respond to them whenever it sees them.

So the Sony remote, once paired, can control the Sonos volume, by this mechanism.

Triuble is, it will still be controlling the Sony TV volume as well, so (a) every change is acted on by both devices at once and (b) anything the Sony thinks it has to say about the volume change will appear on the TV screen.

i don't know if Sky and Virgin boxes have volume controls on them - do they, @josethegunner? - or if the intention is that the volume controls on their remotes control the device actually producing the sound (which they therefore have to be paired with), and so these remotes affect the Sonos directly, the TV is none the wiser, and so there is no double change, no onscreen message on the TV.

And as you say, this is to be expected and is not a bug. And it is indeed what @josethegunner wants.

Re the TV, I can find no setting of the type that Sonos describe there might be, to switch the TV volume message off.

The best you can do, I think, which at least solves (a), is in Settings/Sound to have Headphone/Audio out set to Audio out (Fixed) and Speakers set to Audio System.

This will at least ensure that only the Sonos volume changes, and only the Sonos outputs sound.

But the volume bar you get momentarily with variable sound will now be replaced by the momentary message 'TV volume is fixed.'

So unless and until Sony can be persuaded to provide an option to suppress all such volume messages, you will have to decide which is the least worse set of settings, if you want to control both TV and soundbar from the single, Sony, remote.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
jack32467

I have this - its irritating but I just ignore it now - when I use the volume controls on my sony remote the message comes up on the TV, but the Sonos volume changes

I did find I could add the sonos device and use the tv's external remote cables but this just changed the volume twice each time