Join now - be part of our community!

Digital Input Lost

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Digital Input Lost

Hi all, 

For the second time in a fortnight, since updating to the latest firmware. My digital input has reverted to a black screen, with no picture and no sound. Pressing the (i) button confirms the channel number but no programme information. 

I cleared the issue last time, and I guess that will do the trick again. 

I don't think this is in Quinnicus's issues list, so I guess this is just me? 

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Just been tinkering with this and it looks as though this issue also affects the satellite feed too. The TV diagnostics shows the signal strength & signal quality as zero. A soft reboot will fix the issue, but no idea why this is happening :o/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is unlikely to be a bug/issue with the TV - more likely a general reception issue on your end.  Or you have a transmitter problem.

Lets take it one step at a time - things your end:

• Ensure that your aerial cables that come from the wall to the TV are in good order (i.e. not fraying or falling to pieces etc)
  • Ensure that the aerial cables and fully inserted (or screwed) into the TV.
  • I recommend separating the aerial cables as far as possible away from HDMI cables.
  • Disconnect all other devices to the TV (Bluray players, soundbars, etc) - for testing purposes and test.

Things on the transmitter end:

Do you know which transmitter you are connected to ?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Hi Quinnicus,

I appreciate the help but I'm convinced this is a firmware issue. When the issue occurs all signal is lost for both the digital and satellite tuners, following a soft reboot, the signal quality & strength jumps back to 100. The aerial is less than 24 months old and both feeds are in good condition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You're welcome - but im not convinced it is firmware (yet :slight_smile: ).  Reasons:

• If it was, many others would be experiencing issues.
  • There are many other reasons why signal strength/quality are effected.

I still think its worth going through troubleshooting steps your end - even disconnect one aerial cable (either the freeview one or the satellite) as well as all devices connected to the TV. 

There really can be EM (RF) interferrence from other connected devices :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/no-tv-signal-when-an-hdmi-port-is-in-use/m-p/696321/

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/str-dn1050-turning-on-removes-tv-chan...

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/tv-set-loses-signal-when-blueray-disc-system-is-on/m-p/207...

I would probably advise a factory reset to - you never know - it can work wonders!

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks again for your advice, you are doing a great job here.

I will hold fire for a bit longer to see if the issue occurs again as it would be useful to understand if there's a pattern of events that lead up to the inputs failing. There's not a lot plugged into the TV - just a Sony soundbar which has never caused issues in the last 12 months I've been using it.

I will look to factory reset the TV at some point, but I was holding fire for Marshmallow to arrive, I'm sure it can't be far away now!

Thanks again for the advice Quinnicus, I will post here if I see any more issues.

Regards,

Tarpii

Anonymous
Not applicable

You;re welcome :slight_smile:

Hopefully you can find out the cause of the issue.  When discovering a pattern - also note the time of day too.  And you might think this funny, but even note down whether another electrical device is on (i.e washing machine/dryer etc)

I think many of us are hanging for Marshmallow - I know I am. 

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Tarpii

I had this issue too last month but never happened again.

What I remember, there was an updated app in Google Play related to OS but I can't remember the name.

What I did is Settings - Apps - System app and found two apps called DvbTunerInputService and ExternalInputServices where I cleared both "Clear data" and "Clear cache". That was possibly because the app I saw in Google Play had a similar nomenclature.

Did not have issue since then.

Can't remember if I also did the same wirh "Live Channels", "Programme Guide" "TuningConfirmation_DVBS" and "TuningConfirmation_DVBT" apps :thinking:

Then press and hold POWER BUTTON and reboot.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Hi @MiCal1967,

If it happens again I'll give that a go, post-Christmas I updated firmware, and after a reboot, I also performed a few Google play updates which included some system apps, so a caching issue would make sense.

It's not occured again yet, but I'll keep an eye on it and post here if I find anything.

Thanks,

Andrew

Matt1119
Explorer

Hello all, 

I am new to Sony TV and I have recently purchased a unit 55xd8005. My freeview TV channels through the Youview apps last functioned on Tuesday and  I encountered a similar situation as above where I lost all 200 channels with the exception that I did not manage to re-establish any of them back after a reboot, factory reset, retuning. However, the internet content within YouView is working fine like I can access BBC i-player without any problem. 

Appreciate any help/advice to tackle the issue. 

Best regards,

Matthew