Join now - be part of our community!

BRAVIA 49X8005C 4k 60fps

SOLVED
simonm83
Explorer

BRAVIA 49X8005C 4k 60fps

Hi guys

So i have a a PC with a Geforce 980ti (hdmi 2.0 output), high speed hdmi cable to the TV, but i can only get it outputted at 30fps/30Hz (3840 x 2160).

I notice in the manual this is to be expected directly from a PC:

Corresponding PC input signal

• 3840 x 2160, 67.4 kHz/30 Hz (4K models only)

Since the hdmi inputs are hdmi 2.0 compatible, is there any way i can get this to receive at 50 or 60 fps? How about if i connect the PC through a Sony AV reciever?

(I was thinking STRDN1060 or STRDN860)

Or is this purposely hobbled as its an entry level 4k model.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

That's exactly the problem I had too, The black screen when changing to either 4:4:4 Output in either modes.

Like I said, buying the new cable listed fixed it for me, I haven't had one black screen since I changed cable. You are probably correct that 10m is too long for the signal to work.

Another thing I forgot to mention, is that I read that the TV Picture on some TV's may have to be in "Graphics" or "Game" mode for 4:4:4 - 2160p@60Hz.

I have the KD-X558509c TV, and it makes ZERO difference what mode I put my TV in it, still works @4:4:4 on all picture modes even with HDR enabled,

Here are my settings in Nvidia Control Panel but I'm sure these are what you tried :

res.PNG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

I don't have the same model as you, but my 2nd post in this thread may help as it explains how I managed 2160p@60Hz RGB 4:4:4 from my 2 GTX 970 in SLI.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/guide-to-gaming-on-4k-sony-android-2015-tv/td-p/2068081

Good Luck !

simonm83
Explorer

This is great info thanks, I currently game on a 24" Dell IPS 4k monitor so know that it has the meat to run it fine :slight_smile:

The HDMI cable i've been using is a cheapo one as you mention i always thought they were the same really, so I've ordered the cable you suggested (in 10m) and will test when it arrives tomorrow..  fingers crossed!

simonm83
Explorer

Just an update on this, i actually already had a 5m premium cable (which sadly isnt long enough)

Connecting on port 3 was able to get 4k, 6-fps, full range.. no black screen issues etc.

I bought the 10m version of the linked cable and was able to get 4k 60fps but sadly not in full range, on the model i have i can't find the option you mentioned:

"TV settings, choose "External Inputs" and scroll to the last option which is "4k HDMI SIGNAL FORMAT". "

I dont have external inputs on mine, has this been moved on new firmware or is it just specific to your model only?

Thanks

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Hi there. At least you got to 2160p@60hz, so that's good. My bravia is an Android TV one, is yours? On mine, you press the "Home" button, scroll all the way down to "settings" , click that and then scroll along to "external inputs" and enable "enhanced" under "4k signal output".

Do you not have that setting? I was under the impression that you needed your gfx card to be plugged into HDMI 1 for RGB 4:4:4 2160p@60hz, but I can check the other 3 HDMI ports later and see if I can enable it if you want? 

simonm83
Explorer

Thanks for the info where the setting is, i'd actually not checked there only checked in the "action menu"

I found the setting and enabled enhanced 4k, and there was a change.

In the nVidia control panel i was only able to select YCbCr420 previously, and the ouput range box was greyed out.

Since making the change on the TV i can now actually select RBG and Full range, alas when i apply the change i get black TV screen of doom, if i change it to YCbCr422 or YCbCr444 same result, picture comes back on when i put it back to 420.. i'm guessing 10m is too long for this signal?

Just to complicate matters there was a firmware update today also :slight_smile:

Oh and regarding the inputs, it says here on the specs that only ports 2 and 3 are 4k compatible but to be honest my tests have yielded the same results on all 4 ports so not sure how accurate this is.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/KD-49X8005C/list

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

That's exactly the problem I had too, The black screen when changing to either 4:4:4 Output in either modes.

Like I said, buying the new cable listed fixed it for me, I haven't had one black screen since I changed cable. You are probably correct that 10m is too long for the signal to work.

Another thing I forgot to mention, is that I read that the TV Picture on some TV's may have to be in "Graphics" or "Game" mode for 4:4:4 - 2160p@60Hz.

I have the KD-X558509c TV, and it makes ZERO difference what mode I put my TV in it, still works @4:4:4 on all picture modes even with HDR enabled,

Here are my settings in Nvidia Control Panel but I'm sure these are what you tried :

res.PNG

profile.country.GB.title
les2050
Explorer

@xx4L0Mxx can i ask, i have the same tv KD-55X8509C if you look on full specs on sony website you get 

3840 x 2160/30p

3840 x 2160/24p

3840 x 2160/25p

No 3840 x 2160 / 60p so am i confuzed or this tv cant do 4k @ 60fps

Thanks 

Alex 

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Yes it works perfectly at 3840x2160p@60hz. Sony's online literature is old, 4k@60fps was added in a firmware update ages ago. I have been pc gaming at this resolution for last 14 months flawlessly.

You can also create a custom resolution of 1080p@120fps. If you experience any slight artifacting at this custom resolution, switch your TV's mode to "graphics". 

simonm83
Explorer

After all my messing around it came down to the quality of the cable, i often used to scoff at the expensive 'gold plated' hdmi cables, but at 5m long the high end one i purchased supports 4k @ 60fps wheras the cheaper ones simply give a black screen.